The royal summit on the roles of Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan of Sussex concluded on Monday with a support from Queen Elizabeth II herself about what her grandson seeks to do and a promise that "final decisions" will be made in the coming days.
Shortly after 5 p.m. Local time, Buckingham Palace issued a statement from the queen in which he described the discussions about the future of "my grandson and his family" as "constructive."
"My family and I fully support Harry and Meghan's desire to create a new life as a young family," the statement said. "Although we would have preferred them to remain members of the royal family who work full time, we respect and understand their desire to live a more independent life as a family while still being a valuable part of my family."
She said that Harry and Meghan made it clear that they don't want to depend on public funds in their new lives.
"Therefore, it was agreed that there will be a transition period in which the Sussex will spend time in Canada and the United Kingdom," the statement said. "These are complex issues that my family must solve, and there is still work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be made in the next few days."
Prince Harry, his brother, Prince William and his father, Prince Charles, arrived at a royal summit in Sandringham to address the turmoil caused by the historic announcement of Harry and Duchess Meghan last week to withdraw from their royal duties and live part time in North America.
It is not clear if Duchess Meghan joined Harry on the phone for the rare meeting with her grandmother and high-ranking royal courtiers of all relevant homes.
There was no immediate announcement about the details of what was discussed or the decisions made. The palace said the queen's statement, sent to the US TODAY by email, it would be the only comment of the day.
The plans of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been widely attacked in Britain as unfeasible and represent a painful division of the royal family.
The royal summit took place in Sandringham, the queen's private estate in Norfolk, about 160 kilometers north of London, where it normally stays from late December to early February.
Except for Meghan, the same group participated in a conference call on Friday, according to The Associated Press, citing reports from the British media. Buckingham Palace confirmed that Duchess Meghan returned to Canada to meet with the 8-month-old Archie baby.
Harry remained in the United Kingdom to deal with the consequences of Sussex's desire to change his real roles, which produced a fierce media storm. During the night from Sunday to Monday, journalists, cameras and media trucks appeared outside the doors of Sandringham to wait for news.
Prince Charles arrived in Sandringham from Oman on Sunday night after attending the official mourning ceremony on Sunday for the late Sultan Qaboos bin Said, who died Friday at age 79 after ruling the country for 50 years.
Prince William traveled from his home at Kensington Palace in London and Harry from his home and Meghan's at Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor Castle estate west of London.
Before the meeting, Harry and William issued a joint statement challenging the accuracy of a story in a London newspaper on Monday about a severe collapse in the relationship between the two brothers.
Your statement, sent to the US TODAY in an email from Buckingham Palace, denied a report in The Times in London that Harry and Meghan felt estranged from the royal family by the alleged "harassment" of William and his wife, Duchess Kate of Cambridge, who They were supposedly hostile to Meghan.
"Despite the clear denials, today a false story was published in a UK newspaper speculating about the relationship between the Duke of Sussex and the Duke of Cambridge," the statement said. "For siblings who care so much about mental health issues, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful."
At 2 pm. local time, both princes had arrived separately at the extensive estate, according to the Daily Mail and the Evening Standard.
The unusual royal meeting followed days of talks between royal courtiers and officials from the United Kingdom and Canada, and decisions will take time to implement, the palace said.
Harry and Meghan launched their bomb announcement on January 8: they want to step back as members of the royal family, become "financially independent," spend less time in the UK and "fully support" the queen through Charities and real tours.
The couple said they will divide their time between the United Kingdom and North America, but did not specify where in the continent they plan to establish a store. Meghan and Archie are somewhere in Canada, the country where he lived while filming the television show "Suits" and one of the 53 largest Commonwealth nations in the United Kingdom.
Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland, lives in Los Angeles.
"This geographical balance will allow us to raise our son with an appreciation of the real tradition in which he was born, while giving our family the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity." statement of the couple said.
& # 39; Megxit & # 39; divide United Kingdom:Is Meghan Markle to blame for the real surprise?
About an hour after the announcement, a statement by the queen's spokesperson suggested that Harry and Meghan's attempts to move away would not be as simple as they implied.
"The talks with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage," the statement said. "We understand your desire to adopt a different approach, but these are complicated problems that will take time to solve."
On Thursday, Britain's national news agency, Press Association, reported that the queen ordered officials representing her, Charles, William, Harry and Meghan to meet and find "viable solutions" in "days, no weeks. "
Harry has at least one real engagement scheduled for this week: on Thursday he will host the 2021 Rugby League World Cup draws at Buckingham Palace. Harry has been a real sponsor of the Rugby Football League since he succeeded the queen in 2016. No plans have been announced to alter or cancel the engagement.
Plus:Madame Tussauds in London removes the figures of Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan