Radiation therapy could reduce the risk of breast cancer recurrence: Study

Radiation therapy could reduce the risk of breast cancer recurrence: Study

Washington DC: According to a recent study, a subset of patients with low-risk breast cancer is highly unlikely to return cancer. Thesis 12-year follow-up data from the prospective randomized trial to compare recurrence outcomes after treatment for low-risk ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) were presented at the 60th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO).

In this long-term update, patients with "good risk" 12 years after breast cancer surgery surgery.

Those who underwent whole breast radiation therapy (WBRT) and those who did not experience any life-threatening consequences.

Radiation reduced recurrence by more than 70 percent, and this is much more profound than we expected, "said lead researcher Beryl McCormick.

Since none of the tumors that recurred in either group appeared to pose a life-threatening risk, however, Dr. McCormick said it was reasonable to diagnose patients in consultation with their physician.

Therefore, there should not be any life expectancy. Therefore, there should be a risk of recurrence, but you are at an extremely low recurrence rate even without radiation meaningful discussion between patient and doctor. McCormick.

DCIS is a cancer of the cells that line the milk ducts of the breast. It accounts for roughly one-fourth of all breast cancers for an estimated 60,000 cases diagnosed in the United States each year. Eligible tumors were 2.5 centimeters (cm) or smaller, with margins of three millimeters or less, and of low or intermediate nuclear grade.

The analysis included long-term follow-up data for 629 patients whose median age was 58 years, including 76 per cent post-menopausal women. Mean pathological tumor size is 0.60 centimeters (61 per cent 0.5 cm or smaller, 65 per cent with a margin width of 1.0 cm or larger or completely negative re-excision specimen). The highest nuclear tumor grade was 1, found in 44 per cent of patients; grade-2 tumors were diagnosed in the remaining 56 per cent.

During the additional five years following surgery, Dr McCormick noted, "there is a slight creeping up of the local recurrence rate." For those who received WBRT, the rate increased by just under 1 cent, bringing it to nearly 3 per cent post-surgery.

Per cent to just under 12 per cent after 12 years. Neither age nor pathological tumor size is significant for predicting local recurrence or invasive local recurrence.

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.