Home Health Rare virus detected in dead bird in the wildlife park Poing

Rare virus detected in dead bird in the wildlife park Poing

The West Nile virus has been detected in a dead bird in the Poing Wildlife Park. It is the third case in Germany.Poing – The staff in the Wildpark Poing in the district of Ebersberg have not yet returned to the agenda. On Thursday, the West Nile virus was detected in a dead owl. The third case in Germany, the first in Bavaria. "Although we assume that our little owl is an isolated case," emphasized vet Sandra Klimm on Friday. Nevertheless, mosquitoes in the zoo are to be investigated. Through them, the virus is transmitted – on birds, as in the current case, but also on humans or horses transmission would be possible. All found dead wild birds are also to be examined for the virus, announced Klimm. West Nile virus: So far no infection of humans or horses known to be known in Germany no infection of humans or horses with the virus. However, this does not necessarily mean that there have not been any. Because: The virus is not dangerous. "In 80 percent of the cases, there are not even symptoms of an infection," emphasizes the Munich-based tropical medicine specialist Markus Frühwein. "In the remaining 20 percent there are flu-like symptoms." For all people who have no previous illnesses or whose immune system is not weak, there is no danger. The disease rarely ends in death. In South and Southeastern Europe, there is a particularly violent wave of infection this season. In Greece, significantly more people have been infected this year than in Germany. 180 cases are known, 22 people died. "Most people who die of meningitis have pre-existing conditions," explains the tropical medicine doctor. "For them, a common flu would be dangerous." Markus Frühwein, tropical medicine © fknDas virus was first detected in 1937 in a woman in the province of West Nile in Uganda. In the 1990s, it came through wild birds in the United States, a little later to Europe. However, early wine does not assume that cases will pile up in Germany. "There would have to be a lot of coincidences," he says. There are also the right mosquito species that transmit the virus. However, the climatic conditions are not optimal, it is too cool. Infections by a blood transfer are very rare, he explains. Nonetheless, Jonas Schmidt-Chanasit of the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine thinks it makes sense that potential blood donors will be tested for the virus in the future. So far this is not the case. He also advises that the staff of the Wildpark Poing be examined. Should anyone find out that he has the virus, the doctors have no choice but to treat the symptoms like a flu. There is no vaccine against West Nile fever yet, he reports. "They are still developing." However, humans build antibodies to the virus in an infection. An infection is therefore rare – a multiple infection almost impossible. "There is really nothing to worry about," says Frühwein, adding: "If I had the choice between a common flu and the infection with the West Nile virus, I would probably opt for the virus." Kwo / lby


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Must Read

At the Printemps de Bourges, the Europe of punk rock makes resistance

Idles, a humanist and humorous quintet from Bristol, lit up a thematic evening that saw six bands...

Easter holidays: the favorite destinations of the French

Easter holidays: the favorite destinations of the French

Pierre Vasarely: his fight to revive the work of his grandfather Victor

Pierre Vasarely: his fight to revive the work of his grandfather Victor

Kim Kardashian West: Abusing your privilege does not help anyone – E! On-line

Kim Kardashian West: Abuse of your privileges does not help anyone E! On-lineNow that she is a lawyer herself, the KUWTK star hopes to...

Sailors act responsibly on a Friday night, taking out the trash first

Friday had a dubious start in the baseball world. MLB announced that Tim Anderson, the player thrown by Brad Keller and thrown...