(WASHINGTON) – President Donald Trump plans to introduce new tariffs on some $ 200 billion of Chinese imports, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday.
Both sides were preparing to hold talks about their wage dispute. Last week, Trump told reporters that such a move could come "very soon".
The journal cited unnamed persons who were familiar with the matter and said the tariff level is likely to be set at about 10 percent, among the 25 percent announced earlier this year.
The two governments have already imposed 25 percent tariffs on $ 50 billion for each other's goods. Beijing has issued a list of another $ 60 billion in retaliatory American products should Trump's next tariff increase occur.
The White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters declined to comment at the time of a possible announcement, saying, "The President has made it clear that he and his government will continue to take action to address China's unfair trading practices long-standing concerns of the United States. "
The Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Thursday it was invited to hold new talks. Envoys from the two countries last arrived in Washington on August 22, but reported no progress.
Beijing has rejected pressure from the United States to reverse plans for state-led development of Chinese global champions in robotics, artificial intelligence and other fields.
Washington, Europe and other trading partners say these plans violate China's market opening obligations. American officials also fear that they could erode the industrial leadership of the United States.
Forecasters have warned that the worsening conflict between the world's top two traders could cut global economic growth by 0.5 percentage points by 2020, with all impending tariff increases taking place.
China has unsuccessfully attempted to recruit Germany, France, South Korea and other governments as allies against Washington. Some of them have criticized Trump's tactics, but many repeat US complaints about Chinese market barriers and industrial strategies.