We are talking about the safety of salads in an envelope that many people consume above all for their practicality. A new test reveals that these products are safe from a hygienic point of view (there are no dangerous germs and bacteria) but that they show traces of heavy metals and pesticide residues.
After the news related to the research carried out in Turin on the salads in envelope was very much reduced (it was a 2012 study in which only 3 samples out of 100 had been found positive in Escherichia coli and among other things in levels only potentially pathogenic) is now the magazine the Lifebuoy to revive the attention on this topic so dear to consumers.
The salads in envelopes are in fact always very present on the tables of the Italians and it is no coincidence that at the supermarket larger and larger fridge shelves host different formats and varieties of this vegetable ready to be consumed. Among the most loved there is certainly the little lettuce, just what the laboratories of the Life Vest they wanted to analyze to understand what was the hygienic and microbiological state but also the possible contamination by pesticides and heavy metals such as lead and cadmium.
The salad test in an envelope
10 brands of lettuce analyzed, many of well-known supermarket chains and only one organic. Specifically it is:
- Coop (Salad)
- long S (green lettuce)
- Elite Selex (nature calls the little girl)
- Carrefour (Lettuce)
- Conad (quality path lettuce)
- Lidl (Vallericca lattughino)
- Eurospin (green leaf lettuce)
- Bonduelle (the lettuce)
- Tell me yes (Lettuce)
- The lands of Ecor (NaturaSì) – organic salad
Let's start with the positive results: all the products analyzed they are safe from the point of view of microbes. Traces of salmonella, Escherichia Coli and listeria have not been found, all pathogens that seriously endanger our health.
Unfortunately though, most salads, however they were not clean. The laboratories have found traces of phytosanitary treatments (ie pesticides) which, in the same salad, could also be of 4 different types (this is the case of the Eurospin and Carrefour brandy). Only two girls were completely clean from the point of view of pesticide residues, these are the ones under the Bonduelle and Ecor brand (so in this case, at least in this case, the organic proved to be a guarantee).
The presence of cadmium, heavy metal carcinogen for humans, found in high levels in two products (Selex and Conad) and in two others very close to the limit established by law (Lidl and DimmidiSì). The traces of this substance identified in the salad would be attributed not only to the presence in the soil of this metal but also to the use of fertilizers that contain it.
Traces of lead, on the other hand, a metal classified as a probable carcinogen for humans, have been found to a minimum in the Coop salads (however one of the first on the list as an overall judgment), Lidl and Dimmidisì.
Here are the salad salad results, listed in order of score from best to worst:
- Bonduelle: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.04 Lead (mg / kg): Absent Hygiene: Excellent Pesticides (mg / kg): Absent
- Coop: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.04 Lead (mg / kg): 0.02 Hygiene: Excellent Pesticides (mg / kg): Boscalid 0.017
- Ecor: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.02 Lead (mg / kg): Absent Hygiene: Excellent Pesticides (mg / kg): Absent
- Long S: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.05 Lead (mg / kg): Absent Hygiene: Excellent Pesticides (mg / kg): Boscalid 0.096 Mandipropamid 0.948
- Eurospin: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.02 Lead (mg / kg): Absent Hygiene: Good Pesticides (mg / kg): Boscalid 0.073 Mandipropamid 0.035 Metalaxyl 0.139 Chlorantraniliprole 0.028
- Conad: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.10 Lead (mg / kg): Absent Hygiene: Excellent Pesticides (mg / kg): Fludioxonil 0.899 Cyprodinil 2.122 Fosetil 0.200
- Selex: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.13 Lead (mg / kg): Absent Hygiene: Excellent Pesticides (mg / kg): Boscalid 0.463 Pyraclostrobin 0.034
- Carrefour: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.09 Lead (mg / kg): Absent Hygiene: Good Pesticides (mg / kg): Boscalid 0.012 Cyprodinil 0.171 Mandipropamid 0.018 Metalaxyl 0.043
- Lidl: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.15 Lead (mg / kg): 0.01 Hygiene: Excellent Pesticides (mg / kg): Boscalid 0.133
- Tell me yes: Cadmium (mg / kg): 0.16 Lead (mg / kg): 0.01 Hygiene: Excellent Pesticides (mg / kg): Boscalid 0.010 Abamectin 0.014 Fludioxonil 0.110
It must be underlined however that all the salads in the bag are compliant since they did not exceed the legal limits in any parameter.
However, it is advisable, in particular, to those most at risk (for example to pregnant women) to wash the salad again in a bag before eating it.
New SEAT Arona TGI methane: prices, models and features
greenMe is on WhatsApp! News on your phone every day