Scott Pendlebury test results, first round announcement

AFL is expected to make a decision today as to whether its season will begin on time with the Richmond-Carlton game at MCG on Thursday night.

Here is the latest news as the outbreak of the corona virus continues to shake the footballing world:

CARO SLAMS NRL BOSS

Footy Classified panelist Caroline Wilson beat up Australian rugby league commission chairman Peter V’landys after failing in the coronavirus crisis because of his competitive code.

V’landys has passionately asked the federal government for funding because the NRL faces financial problems from playing in empty stadiums – and a possible break in its season.

“Our money will only last as long and once it is wiped out we are in big trouble,” said V’landys.

“An Australia without a rugby league is not Australia. The government must support us in this crisis because it is not our business. “

Prime Minister Scott Morrison replied that the NRL was not at the top of the public money priority list, but Wilson got even harder on Monday night.

“Peter, at worst, it was scaremongering,” said Wilson. “I know that the NRL clubs do not have AFL membership support, but that was no excuse.

“At a time when people get sick and possibly die, companies go under and people lose their jobs, there was a lack of grace to open the conversation by demanding public funding.

“Your behavior reminded me of those selfish panic traders who took off supermarket shelves and highlighted Australia’s worst reaction to this terrible plague.”

“He opened the conversation by demanding public money at a time when … Australians are afraid of the financial results they will come up with,” she added. “He made (AFL CEO) Gillon McLachlan look like a towering leader.”

PENDLES ‘VIRUS TEST BACK TODAY

Scott Pendlebury is one of up to four Collingwood players experiencing cold symptoms while the AFL is dealing with the unfolding coronavirus crisis. The Magpies captain has been tested on COVID-19. The results are expected on Tuesday.

Any AFL player who tests positive for corona virus will have the competition closed for at least 14 days, possibly longer, which means plans to play games this weekend could be put on hold today.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said he expected more players to be tested for coronavirus soon.

“(Pendlebury) is one of three or four of our boys who had cold symptoms and had them examined,” he said to Nines Footy Classified.

“I would assume that this is a consistent scenario for all 18 clubs.

“Pendles himself basically had a runny nose and was busy presenting it to the doctor, and there was enough to warrant a test.

“While the focus at the moment is on one player, I have little doubt that there are other people in football programs who are in the same situation.”

PLAYER’S FACE 20 PERCENT PAY CUT

AFL players will be forced to cut salaries as the entire industry prepares to “tighten their belts.”

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan said that every sector in the league will suffer financially from COVID-19. According to reports, players are asked to cut wages by up to 20 percent during a shortened season.

“We obviously had these conversations with the PA (AFL Players Association) to say that there will be a lot of pain in the entire industry,” said McLachlan.

“Everyone has to tighten their belts. They are clubs, it is the AFL and of course that includes the players. “

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said he would like to give up part of his wages for the AFL.

“We should find a fairly consistent skim … no matter what percentage is from the top to fill the hole,” Buckley told Nines Footy Classified.

WHAT has been decided so far

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan announced on Monday that the game should be shortened from 23 to 17 rounds in 2020.

Richmond and Carlton will open the season behind closed doors at MCG on Thursday night, but that remains pending.

McLachlan said that if a player tested positive for coronavirus, the AFL will shut down completely for at least 14 days, possibly longer.

State leagues such as VFL, SANFL, WAFL, NEAFL and TSL and the associated women’s competitions have been postponed to at least May 31.

AFLW still has two rounds to go before the final and the future of their season is expected to be decided on Tuesday.

All 18 teams play once against each other in the program affected by coronavirus. The first four game rounds will be played as planned before a new draw is made for the rest of the competition.

.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.