KABUL – A suicide bomber targeting a bus with employees of the largest jail in Afghanistan killed at least seven people Wednesday, officials said in the recent militant attack in war-torn land.

At least seven people were killed in the explosion near the Pul-e-Charkhi Prison in Kabul, which can be seen here in a file shot

Another five were wounded in the explosion near the facility in Kabul, which, according to police spokesman Basir Mujahid, had hit a vehicle carrying Pul-e-Charkhi prison personnel.

The attacker was on foot, said Interior Minister Najib Danish. He struck as the bus entered the prison in the east of the Afghan capital.

There was no immediate responsibility for the explosion, but the Islamic States (IS) group has been calling for the most suicide attacks in Kabul in recent months.

The attack comes a few days after a suicide bomber blew himself up near the entrance of Afghanistan's Independent Electoral Commission in Kabul, killing at least one person and injuring six.

A wave of election-related violence has killed or wounded hundreds nationwide in recent months as the Taliban and IS intensify attacks on Afghan security and government officials.

Afghanistan's long-delayed parliamentary elections, held this month over three days, were clouded by chaos and deadly attacks.

Two days before the start of voting on October 20, a Taliban-demanded shooting killed a powerful police chief in southern Kandahar province.

General Abdul Raziq was one of three people killed in a brazen insider attack at a high-level provincial security meeting attended by General Scott Miller, US commander in chief and NATO in Afghanistan.

Miller escaped unhurt, but US Brigadier General Jeffrey Smiley was wounded in the shootout of 13 people who, in the Taliban's view, were targeted at Miller and Raziq.

US officials and NATO's Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan were relentless that Miller had not been a target.

A few days later, another Taliban attack killed a NATO soldier and two other people – all from the Czech Republic – in the western province of Herat.

The attacks took place in the wake of a spate of US-led diplomatic activity to convince the Taliban, Afghanistan's largest militant group, to negotiate an end to the 17-year war.

Earlier this month, newly-appointed US Ambassador to Peace Zalmay Khalilzad met with representatives of the Taliban in Qatar.

Less than two weeks later, a Taliban commander-in-chief arrested in Pakistan for more than eight years was released.

A leading Taliban leader told AFP that the group had requested the release of Abdul Ghani Baradar and several others at the meeting with Khalilzad.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.