– They have been friends since childhood. They have been friends, says defender Mette Yvonne Larsen to Dagbladet about her client and the deceased.
It was Monday afternoon that a man was arrested and charged with murder, after a 39-year-old man was shot in Tordenskiolds gate by the City Hall in Oslo on Monday.
The police were notified of the shooting episode at 17.45 and were in place shortly afterwards. The arrest itself took place without drama.
Claiming to defend
On Tuesday night, the man was questioned. He acknowledges the facts, defense attorney Larsen states.
– He has acknowledged the facts that he has shot, and he claims that the action takes place in self-defense, she says to Dagbladet.
She does not want to go into detail about what the client has explained in the interrogation.
– What I can say is that he invokes self-defense. Self-defense is a motive in itself, says the defender.
Larsen has requested that the client be presented to the police doctor for an assessment of mental health.
The 41-year-old will be presented tomorrow at half past nine, she states. After lunch, a prison meeting will be held.
Lawyer John Christian Elden has been asked by the father and brother of the deceased to be an assistance lawyer in the case.
He tells Dagbladet that they are appalled by the murder and the loss, which “came like lightning from clear skies”. They do not understand how the accused can invoke self-defense.
– It seems more like execution than emergency protection, and the relatives find it strange that emergency protection is alleged so early in the investigation, without there being anything in the act that supports this, says Elden.
– They note that the accused seems to admit to having committed the murder, he adds.
Has said he is willing to be questioned
The head of intelligence and investigation in the Oslo police district, Grete Lien Metlid, confirms that there is a relationship between the accused and the deceased man, but does not want to go further into this for the time being.
– The focus today will be on conducting interrogations of the accused. This is something he has said he is willing to do, she told Dagbladet ahead of the interrogation on Tuesday night.
An autopsy will also be performed on the deceased person, before the man charged with murder is presented for custody on Wednesday.
Called the police myself
In a video from the incident that Dagbladet has access to, you can see that the suspected perpetrator is making a phone call. Who the perpetrator calls is currently unknown.
However, both the police and defense counsel Larsen have confirmed that the accused himself contacted the police after the incident.
– I can confirm that the accused is one of those who called us, but if it is exactly the phone call we see in the video clip, I will not confirm, Metlid says to Dagbladet after seeing the video.
– I thought “what the hell?”
On Monday night, a witness told Dagbladet that she was at work near the scene at Oslo City Hall, when she heard “a shot or two”.
– I thought «what the hell?», Said the witness and added:
– I looked out the window and saw him (the murder suspect, journ.anm.), But I did not see what he had in his hand. Then I picked up the phone and started filming him to be able to “zoom in”, and then I saw it was a gun. Then I stopped filming and called the police immediately.
The witness then squatted down to hide from the person.
According to VG, both the accused and the deceased man have previously been convicted in connection with a serious theft case.
The man now charged with murder is said to have been sentenced in the autumn of 2018 to two and a half years in prison for 19 aggravated thefts, while the deceased was sentenced to one year and four months in prison for ten thefts, the newspaper writes.
Investigation leader Metlid has previously informed Dagbladet that the accused is known from the police from before, but that they do not link the incident on Monday to any ongoing conflicts that are known to the police.
Dagbladet is aware that both the accused and the deceased have previously been convicted.
– Good overview
After the shooting took place, the police have been sent a number of photos and videos in connection with the incident.
– So far we have a relatively good overview of what has happened, says Metlid.
At the same time, she encourages potential witnesses, who have not reported, to get in touch.
– If anyone is sitting on possible evidence, we ask them to contact the police.
For the time being, the head of the investigation does not want to go into what may be the cause of the shooting episode.