New Zealand Prime Minister: "Our gun laws will change"

What do we know about the New Zealand shoot?

  • The police said 49 people are dead after the shootings in two mosques.
  • There were 42 hospital inmates, two of whom were severely injured.
  • A suspected gunman, an Australian citizen, was charged with murder.
  • Two others, whose roles are still unclear, are in custody.
  • A man who took responsibility for the attack wrote a manifesto that refers to "white genocide" driven by "mass immigration."
  • The manifesto said weapons would be used to stimulate the 2nd amendment debate in the US, calling President Trump a "symbol of renewed white identity."

Follow the latest updates below. All times East unless otherwise stated.

Suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court

Brenton Tarrant, the 28-year-old suspect, was tried for murder on Saturday in Christchurch. He wore handcuffs and a white prison shirt and had no expression.

"There is a charge of murder at the moment, it is reasonable to assume that there will be others," the judge said after Tarrant left.

He did not ask for a deposit. His next judicial appearance will be April 5th.

Brenton Tarrant
Brenton Tarrant performing at the Christchurch District Court on March 16, 2019.

Mark Mitchell / New Zealand Herald via Reuters


Reddit bans on forums violate content

Reddit banned a subreddit on Friday associated with violence, including r / watchpeopledie, where people had shared a live video from the shoot. R / watchpeopledie appeared with the message "banned by Reddit".

In a statement to CNET, a Reddit spokesperson said: "We are very clear in the terms of use of our website that posting content that causes violence causes Reddit users and communities to be excluded Keeping these site-wide rules, this will be banned. "

Another subreddit, r / gore, did not appear.

– Caroline Linton

New Zealand Prime Minister: "Our gun laws will change"

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the alleged shooter had five guns: two semi-automatic weapons and two shotguns. Ardern said the suspect acquired the weapons legally and acquired a weapons license in November 2017.

"It has also found a lever, and as the work on the chain of events that led to the possession and possession of this weapon has been done, I can tell you one thing: our gun laws will change," Ardern said in a press conference on Saturday morning.

Ardern added that attempts had already been made in 2005, 2012 and 2017 to change the gun laws. "Now is the time for a change," she said.

The New Zealand Prime Minister talks to reporters

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern spoke to reporters from Wellington, New Zealand on Saturday morning in New Zealand. Ardern confirmed that the shooter had five different weapons and a license, but also told reporters he was not on an observation list.

"They were neither on an observation list here nor in Australia," said Ardern on Saturday during a press conference.

"If the country is sad today, we're looking for answers," Ardern added. "I specifically want to talk about the firearms used in this terrorist act, it is recommended that the main culprit use five weapons, there were two semi-automatic weapons and two guns."

In New Zealand, anyone who is at least 18 years old and has a background exam can purchase semi-automatic weapons.

Trump expresses his support for New Zealand

President Trump told the White House on Friday that he had supported New Zealand after the shootout.

"The United States is all the way with them," said Trump. "New Zealand has been a good friend and partner for many years, what they go through is absolutely terrible, our hearts are with them and whatever we can."

Last Friday, Mr. Trump tweeted his support and said that the US would provide all the support it could.

"I have just talked with the Prime Minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern, about the terrible events of the past 24 hours, I have told the Prime Minister that we are in solidarity with New Zealand – and that the US can offer any help, we are ready to help We love you New Zealand, "he tweeted.

– Brian Pascus

"I will not vote for this propaganda"

The Mayor of Christchurch, Lianne Dalziel, expressed her disgust at the alleged shooter at a press conference on Saturday morning.

"It's a cowardice he did," Dalziel told reporters. "I think there are no words to describe the disgust I feel for the propaganda he wanted to bring us, I will not vote for this propaganda, his voice is the voice of hate."

Dalziel admitted that she was shocked when the massacre took place in her city. "I'm very shocked that it happened here, but I'm shocked that it happened in New Zealand," she said. "The reason why we were approached is because … we are a safe city and a safe country."

She added, "We did not see this kind of extremism here, he came here, he came here with hatred in his heart, he came here to carry out this act of terrorism."

– Brian Pascus

Guns covered with white supremacist symbols

12:09 clock: The livestream video of the attack on one of the mosques on Friday shows how the shooter aims at two different rifles equipped with countless symbols spread by the white supremacist movement online.

The symbols that have become memes and have been integrated into the codified dictionary used by anonymous white nationalists in online chat rooms range from references to battles against Muslim armies in Europe more than 1,000 years ago, to numbers that the Writings of Adolf represent Hitler.

Terrorism expert for attack and manifesto from New Zealand

Even the music played in the gunner's car when he came to the mosque had meaning. It was a nationalistic Serbian song from the war that tore Yugoslavia apart in the 1990s and glorified Serbian leader Radovan Karadzic, who is currently being detained for genocide and other war crimes against Bosnian Muslims.

The Australian senator blames immigration for the attack

10:14 clock: An Australian senator with well-known anti-immigrant views has come under fire for attributing the horrific attack on the Muslim community in New Zealand to the country's immigration policy rather than racist extremism.

"Is anyone still arguing the connection between Muslim immigration and violence?" Senator Fraser Anning from Queensland said in a tweet. Police in New Zealand have charged an Australian man with murder for murder, and the New Zealand leader quickly noted a "terrorist attack."

Anning's office previously published a statement that was later deleted from its social media pages, in which the senator was quoted as saying, "The real cause of bloodshed on New Zealand roads today is the immigration program that Muslim fanatics emigrate to New Zealand could come first. "

His statement, which was quickly condemned by Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison, began with Anning, who said he was "completely against any form of violence in our community, and I totally condemn the shooter's actions."

White Supremacists "borrow" from the "ISIS Playbook"

9:15 am: New York Police Commissioner for Intelligence and Counter-Terrorism John Miller, a former CBS News special correspondent, told CBS This Morning that his troupe decided on Friday "Details of police presence around mosques near places of worship" New Zealand's attack came in.

"They will see a public message of confirmation," Miller said, noting that many Muslims would go to the mosques for traditional Friday prayers.

John Miller of NYPD reports increased US police presence near mosques and prayer houses

The NYPD said in a tweet that additional officers had been stationed in mosques in the city. Other major US cities also announced that they would increase police presence near mosques on Friday.

Miller said the attack in New Zealand is further proof that "the neo-fascist groups, the white Supremacists, are being tactically borrowed from the ISIS game book."

He said it was IS that first instructed its terrorist supporters to "die live" – ​​by broadcasting real-time attacks on social media platforms.

Miller said white nationalist extremism is something "that we monitor very carefully, something has appeared, we see an increase in propaganda."

The suspect claims others plan attacks

8:13 am: A police officer told CBS News Friday morning that the detained prime suspect, the Australian man accused of murder, claimed that others had planned additional attacks on mosques in New Zealand.

There was no further information about his claim. The New Zealand police said three other people were initially detained. One of them was quickly released and the police were still trying to figure out what role the other two people had in the attack.

CBSN law enforcement analyst Paul Viollis said on CBSN Friday that although the shooter was a "lone wolf," in the sense that he was disconnected from a broader group, he might have help.

Considering the amount of planning that seemed to be invested in the attack-multiple firearms, explosive devices, and attacks on various locations-Viollis said it would have been difficult for a person to plan and carry out the attack alone.

US government reacts to attacks

7:32 am: White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders made a statement on Friday morning: "The United States strongly condemns the attack in Christchurch, our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families, we are in solidarity with the people of New Zealand and their families People's government against this vicious act of hate. "

Shortly after Sanders published the White House statement, President Trump sent out a tweet expressing his "warmest sympathy and best wishes" to the "New Zealanders" after calling the "terrible massacre" in Christchurch.

President Trump's national security advisor, John Bolton, said on Friday it was "apparently a terrorist attack" but would not use the label like the New Zealand Prime Minister.

The US and New Zealand are partners in the Five Eyes Alliance, which includes Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.

US intelligence agencies told CBS News that they would search their databases for clues to the suspect in New Zealand on Friday.

Shooting suspect who apparently had a live stream attack

7:00 am.: Sources confirmed to CBS News on Friday that the man arrested for assassination at two mosques in New Zealand and charged with murder is an Australian-born 28-year-old Brenton Harrison Tarrant.

A video that was apparently broadcast live on social media by the shooter shows the attack in frightening detail.

New Zealand Shooting: Australians charged with murder

The shooter sprayed innocent worshipers in the Masjid Al Noor mosque in the center of Christchurch for more than two minutes before running back to the street where he was aiming to target the people on the sidewalk before returning to his car and searching for another weapon ,

Property of the police in connection with the shooting

6:16 clock: The New Zealand police said on Twitter that they had searched for a house in Dunedin, about 220 miles south of Christchurch, which was "of interest for the heavy firearm incident" on Friday.

The police evacuated neighbors near the house and provided temporary accommodation for them.

The death toll rises to 49, a suspect charged with murder

4:19 am: Police Commissioner Mike Bush said the death toll had risen to 49, with 41 people killed in one mosque and seven in the other mosque. Another person died in the hospital.

A man in his late 20s was charged with murder. One of the detainees was arrested at the scene with a gun, but Bush said that person "may have had nothing to do with the incident." The officials are still working on involving the other two detained persons.

The New Zealand law enforcement agencies did not previously have any information about any of the suspects, Bush said.

The commissioner said the police are not actively looking for other suspects.

He said it was "inappropriate" to comment on how a suspect could have carried out the two shootings, but added, "This was a very well-planned event."

It has already been reported that two vehicles with attached IEDs were found, but Bush corrected that a vehicle with two IEDs had been discovered.

"I do not know if he's alive or dead," says the mother of the man who worshiped in the mosque

"I do not know if he's alive or dead," says the mother in Christchurch


3:49 clock: The parents of a 35-year-old son went to the mosque in Worms on Friday afternoon and told New Zealand television 3 that they had not heard from him. "I do not know if he's alive or dead … we've been waiting and waiting and no news, so we came here to see if he's dead in the mosque, I just want to hear some news about him. " said the mother.

The parents said they moved from Iraq to Christchurch 22 years ago to move to a safer country. They said he went to the mosque every Friday.

48 people were treated at Christchurch Hospital

2:51 pm: According to David Meates, Chief Executive of the Canterbury District Health Board, 48 people, from small children to adults, are treated for gunshot wounds at Christchurch Hospital. Around 200 family members are waiting for news from their family members.

"Once we've taken care of the medical needs of the injured and the well-being of their families and Whanau, we can focus on the psychosocial well-being of our community in Canterbury," Meates said in a statement.

According to the Prime Minister, 40 people are dead, dozens injured

2:36 pm: There were 40 people killed in the two shootings in the mosque, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told a news conference. Dozens more are being treated for injuries in the local hospitals.

"It's clear that it can only be called a terrorist attack," Ardern said.

The security threat to national security increased from low to high, but both domestic and international flights are carried out outside of Christchurch's airports outside of the country.

Ardern said there were four people in custody, three in connection with the shooting. She said that these three consist of one alleged shooter and two "colleagues".

She said the suspects have "what I would call extremist views – they have no place in New Zealand or in the world."

Ardern said she wanted to send a message to the suspect: "You may have picked us, but we totally reject you and condemn you."

The shooter referred in his manifesto to the 2nd Amendment

1:31 clock: In the manifesto, the shooter rhetorically wondered why he chose to attack with firearms or firearms. He replied, "I chose firearms for the impact they would have on the social discourse," adding, "With enough pressure, the left wing in the United States will try to do away with the second amendment, and the right wing in the US this will be seen as an attack on their freedom and freedom. "

"The US is involved in many factions through its second change, along state, social, cultural, and especially racial lines," he said.

The manifesto of a man claiming responsibility for shooting in New Zealand reveals an alleged motive

Man who claims responsibility for shootings wrote about "white genocide"

1:16 clock: In a manifesto released around the time of the attack, a man in charge of the shootings describes himself as a "normal" 28-year-old native Australian. CBS News can not confirm that it was actually posted by the attacker.

He says his parents are of Scottish, Irish and English descent and writes about the "white genocide" driven by a "mass immigration crisis".

He says he carried out the attack "to show invaders that our countries will never be their countries … as long as the white man is still alive." He says, "We have to secure the existence of our people and the future of the white children."

The alleged shooter says he does support Donald Trump in a sense, but not completely, "as a symbol of renewed white identity and common goal, safe as a politician and leader, dear God, no."

NYPD and LAPD increase security in mosques in New York and Los Angeles

1:45: Law enforcement officials in the two largest cities in the US have announced they will increase security forces in mosques.

One of the suspects in New Zealand seems to have targeted Muslims in mosques during Friday prayers. The NYPD issued a statement to the public stating that "they are watching closely the events in New Zealand, and are cautiously evaluating the safety of places in the city."

The LAPD said in a Twitter post that they offer "extra patrols around mosques".

Lockdown lifted for schools, hospital still in lockdown

1:26 clock: The police have shut down the schools so that worried parents could pick up their children. The two mosques are still closed, as is the hospital where the victims were taken.

"We want to reassure citizens that there is a large police presence in the city and that community safety is our priority," the police said in a statement.

4 people in custody, says the police commissioner

12:42: Police Commissioner Mike Bush said at a press conference that four people are in detention. He said that there are three men and the other is a woman.

"I do not think there are any others," Bush said.

He did not specify the exact number of people killed or injured, but said there was a "significant" death toll.

He said that they "do not assume that it is limited to Christchurch.

There were a number of IEDs on vehicles that were stopped, Bush said.

Police officers are now wearing weapons.

Police ordered all mosques in New Zealand to close their doors

12:23 pm: In two mosques, the police reported several victims.

The police also called on all mosques in New Zealand to close their doors and urged residents to refrain from visiting.

Residents of Christchurch were also asked to stay in the house.

Prime Minister: "It's clear that this is one of New Zealand's darkest days"

Prime Minister calls mosque "one of New Zealand's darkest days"

11:55 clock: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said at a press conference, "It's clear that this is one of New Zealand's darkest days."

"What happened here is clearly an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence," Ardern said.

Ardern said many of the people directly affected by the shooting could be migrants or refugees. "They have decided to make New Zealand their home, and they are us … there is no place in New Zealand for acts of unprecedented and extreme violence, which is clear that this is the case."

Witness: "I saw dead everywhere"

11:55 clock: Len Peneha told the Associated Press that he saw a black-clad man enter the Masjid Al Noor mosque and then hear dozens of shots, followed by people running in panic outside the mosque.

"I've seen deaths everywhere," said Peneha. "There were three in the hallway, at the door leading to the mosque, and people in the mosque, it's unbelievably crazy, I do not understand how anyone can relate to these people.

Brian Pascus, Lex Haris and Brian Dakss contributed to the coverage.

,

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.