Söyüncü could provide Freiburg with millions

This summer, SC Freiburg has already generated around 22 million euros in transfer revenues. With the upcoming departure from national player Robin Koch, millions more can be expected – and there could even be an unpredictable windfall.

Ex-Freiburger Caglar Söyüncü

Will he change clubs again? Ex-Freiburg Caglar Söyüncü.
imago images

At the start of training on August 10, Christian Streich stated that the well-known training and further education association from Breisgau, which continues to be financially stable, is more dependent than ever on transfer revenues in the current difficult Corona period. Four days later, the move from national player Luca Waldschmidt to Benfica Lisbon was perfect – the SC received a base transfer fee of 15 million euros.

The sports directors Jochen Saier and Klemens Hartenbach have again ensured a strong return – in 2018 Waldschmidt came from HSV for five million. The long-time regular goalkeeper Alexander Schwolow had previously said goodbye to Hertha BSC. The replacement package of a total of seven million ends up almost entirely on the plus side, since Schwolow was trained in his own youth from 2008.

Change within the Bundesliga is currently unlikely

In the case of the second national player Robin Koch, another million in income should follow soon. The defensive man, whose contract with SC only runs until 2021, is in the final exploratory phase, which location makes the most sense for his next career step and whether his own ideas can be implemented with the club in question. The English clubs Tottenham, Newcastle and Leeds as well as the top Italian clubs AC Milan and Lazio Rome should be among the interested parties. A change within the Bundesliga currently appears unlikely. Until it is enforced, the 24-year-old should first travel with the SC to the training camp in Schruns / Austria, which starts on Thursday.

The good thing about the Koch personnel: According to kicker information, the sports club does not have to pay anything to Koch’s previous employer. The financially struggling 1. FC Kaiserslautern had at the end of August 2017 as a second division team in the negotiations with Freiburg for the then quite inexperienced cook (only 27 second division appearances) achieved a comparatively high base fee of 3.5 million, but had to pay for a participation in return refrain from any resale.

Söyüncü is said to be courted by Barcelona

In the case of another central defender, however, such a resale participation could bring the SC an unpredictable windfall. The Turkish international Caglar Söyüncü is said to be currently courted by FC Barcelona. The 24-year-old drew attention to himself in the past Premier League season as a top performer (34 appearances) of the fifth Leicester City. In 2018, Söyüncü moved from Freiburg to Leicester for a whopping 21 million euros, and according to kicker information, the SC has secured a resale stake of over ten percent. In the case of a Söyüncü transfer that is now possible in the double-digit million range, that could make for a pretty little sum that also flows into the SC accounts.

While the sporting compensation for the departures of Waldschmidt and soon also Koch is a difficult task, the SC is on the right track in terms of transfer proceeds. In addition, Janik Haberer, who is willing to change, could also provide transfer income. The midfielder is currently still in external rehab after his ankle injury and, unlike Koch, is not scheduled for the training camp that will last until August 29th.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.