South Australia will introduce new restrictions from midnight after a second person tested positive for covid in the state.
South Australian Premier Steven Marshall said this afternoon SA would be looking at a “disaster” if nothing was done.
Two people from the same family, who recently flew into Australia, have tested positive. An 81-year-old man was diagnosed earlier today and now his daughter has tested positive too. However, five other family members have so far tested negative.
“These will be statewide restrictions that have been put in place and will be in place (until) will review those on Friday this week,” said Mr Marshall.
“We’ve only got one chance to get this right. We are very concerned about the situation. We are assuming it is the Delta variant.
“Our focus is right from day one has been to go hard and to go early and minimise disruption to business.”
Premier Marshall has insisted it wasn’t a lockdown but it has many of the same restrictions.
The key elements are non-essential retail will close until Friday. That doesn’t include food and pharmacies, bottle shops, opticians, fuel, vets, dry cleaners, post offices, banks and hardware stores.
In restaurants and cafes, the one person per four square metre rule will come back and dining at restaurants will be outdoor only.
Only 10 people will be allowed in homes and masks will be needed in “high risk” settings such as public transport.
Team sports cannot take place. Friday’s AFL games in the state will likely take place with no spectators.
Weddings and funerals will be capped at 10.
Schools will remain open, masks do not have to be worn in class, and people can still go to work but are being encouraged to work from home.
“Our focus is to minimise effects on businesses and have smallest disruption that we can,” the Premier said.
“It will be a disaster if we have to go into long term lockdown.”
More information on the SA restrictions can be found by clicking here.