Given new cases of corona virus in the country, is the government doing enough to address the virus threat? Here are the stories that make headlines at ANC today:
New infections of coronavirus infectious disease 19 (COVID-19) have been reported and are considered an indication of local transmissions. Vice President Leni Robredo said more Filipinos could be at risk if COVID cases are not reported. Health sec. Francisco Duque denied any sub-reporting. President Duterte will sign an implementing regulation declaring the state of emergency of public health due to COVID. It turns out that the DOH already asked for the explanation on February 21.
Robredo also said she was wondering why, despite “glaring evil”, there are no measures against Philippine Offshore Games Operations (POGOs) operations. Senator Franklin Drilon said POGOs are now “unregulated” and want their licenses revoked. Palace said Duterte was unlikely to stop operating POGOs.
Justice Sec. Menardo Guevarra said broadcasters shouldn’t be punished if Congress doesn’t operate in their franchise. Guevarra responded to a petition filed with the Supreme Court that questioned the validity of a Congress letter requesting the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to provide a provisional authority to operate ABS-CBN. However, the president’s spokesman, Salvador Panelo, said earlier that it might be illegal for the NTC to grant the provisional authority.
A committee in the House of Representatives is to investigate the entry of $ 370 million of dirty money into the country. Senator Richard Gordon, who led a similar Senate investigation, will be visiting Headstart to discuss their hearings on the subject.
A new man
If Asi Taulava decides to leave the game, he will do so as his best self. ANCX reports to the PBA veteran and the changes he has made in his life.
COVID-19, Coronavirus, Leni Robdredo, Menardo Guevarra, ABS-CBN franchise, POGO, Francisco Duque, Richard Gordon, Franklin Drilon, money laundering, Asi Taulava