THE FACE-TO-FACE CONTINUES AT NOTRE-DAME-DES-LANDES
NANTES (Reuters) – The face-to-face meeting between occupants of the “zone to defend” (ZAD) of Notre-Dame-des-Landes (Loire-Atlantique) and gendarmes continued Monday in waiting for the first appearances before the justice of “zadistes” arrested in recent days.
According to a spokesman for the gendarmerie, the police destroyed one of the two carpentry routes this weekend in the area of the former Nantes airport project.
This wooden frame of two tons, measuring 10 meters long and 5 wide, was worn between 10 pm and midnight by 300 people, in the light of headlamps, “in an absolutely pharaonic collective movement,” write the zadistes in a Press release.
The gendarmes also tried Monday to bring down “zadistes” mounted on the second frame, in order to also dismount.
The goal is to prevent the reconstruction of illegal buildings demolished last week, the spokeswoman told Reuters.
The gendarmes also cleared barricades mounted during the night, added the spokesman of the gendarmerie. “We are in a phase of stabilization, for the moment it is calm,” she said in the middle of the morning.
Since the start of the ZAD evacuation operations on 9 April, 66 gendarmes and an unknown number of “Zadists” have been injured in sporadic clashes.
A further delay was left until April 23 to “zadistes” potentially eager to file an individual agricultural project file.
A SERIOUSLY INJURED GENDER
Interior Minister Gérard Collomb said Monday morning on Radio Classique that the government wanted to “give the chance to dialogue”.
It is up to the zadists to “choose whether they want to fall into violence or whether they want a real project,” he said. “There are confrontation professionals who turn from place to place, where it seems most exciting (…) The force must remain at the law.”
In the interview he gave Sunday evening to BFMTV, RMC and Mediapart, Emmanuel Macron deemed illegitimate continuation of the occupation of the ZAD despite the abandonment of the airport project.
The head of state estimated that some of the zadists, long-standing in Notre-Dame-des-Landes, had always refused to formalize a farm, for example in the form of a cooperative (Scop).
He spoke of “these people who have been there for sometimes more than ten years, who refused, because their project is not an agricultural project, it is a project of disorder”.
Six people arrested in recent days must be judged in immediate appearance Monday afternoon in Nantes and two minors were to be brought in the morning to appear in the children’s court.
The prosecutor’s office of Nantes also seized the research section (SR) of Angers (Maine-et-Loire) of a flagrancy investigation for “aggravated violence” after three gendarmes were wounded on the ZAD by the jet of an “explosive device containing steel balls”.
One of them, “polycriblé”, was to be operated by the hands on Monday at the University Hospital Center (CHU) of Nantes.
In total, 24 people have been arrested since the beginning of operations, according to the prefecture of Loire-Atlantique.
The demonstration for the reconstruction of the destroyed places of life gathered Sunday on the ZAD nearly 4,000 people, “including 3,300 came from outside” according to the prefecture. The Zadists have counted “between 15 and 20,000” protesters, despite the government blockade at the main entrances.
(Guillaume Frouin, with Emmanuel Jarry, edited by Yves Clarisse)