San Juan, Puerto Rico – The Ministry of Education of Puerto Rico said that a US judge issued a warrant for arrest against the head of the agency on Wednesday, but later withdrew it after the officials committed to provide documents in connection with a federal investigation.
The department said that the court-requested unidentified documents are available from 2011 to 2013 before Julia Keleher was appointed Education Secretary in December 2016. The documents are being searched as part of an investigation into a school education program, officials said.
The department's statement contradicted an earlier interview published by the newspaper Primera Hora, in which Pedro Fortier of the US Marshals Service stated that no arrest warrant had been issued. Fortier did not return any messages for comment.
Lymarie Llovet, a spokeswoman for the US law firm, also said that an arrest warrant had been issued. She added that the documents were sealed in the case and she had no further details.