Palestinian factions and activists called for the abolition of the Olso agreements on Thursday, saying that the agreements signed between the PLO and Israel 25 years ago have failed to meet Palestinian aspirations for statehood and independence.
Israel used the Oslo Accords to create irreversible local facts, notably through the expansion of settlements.
In Ramallah, a high-ranking official of the ruling Fatah faction dismissed calls for the repeal of the Oslo Accords as "unrealistic" and "hypocritical."
The official told The Jerusalem Post that many of those who called on the Palestinians to abandon the Oslo Accords are the first to use ATMs to get their salaries [from the PA government], "
The official said he understood a lot of the criticism of the Oslo Accords, "but there is no denying that we are in a much better situation today than we were over 25 years ago." We have our own government, our own security forces and own state institutions – thanks to the Oslo Accords. "
In the Gaza Strip, Hamas and several extremist Palestinian groups released separate statements calling on the Palestinian Authority leadership to reject the "failed" and "catastrophic" Oslo Accords.
"The armed struggle is the strategic option to protect the Palestinian cause and restore our national rights," Hamas said. The movement, which governs the Gaza Strip, called on PA President Mahmoud Abbas to stop "profane" security coordination with Israel, stop PA security measures against Hamas supporters and more than "suppress" sanctions against the Gaza Strip Year ago.
JPOST VIDEOS YOU COULD CARE:
Hamas stated that the Palestinians continue to "pay the price for this political trap and their national crime". The treaties had "weakened the Palestinians politically, restricted their relations with the Arabs and the free world", strengthening Israel's standing in the international arena. "
Representatives of Hamas and several Palestinian factions who opposed the Oslo Accords on Thursday attended a conference in Gaza City under the motto "The 25th Anniversary of Catastrophic Oslo". Conference speakers strongly condemned the Oslo Accords and signed all agreements with Israel.
Mohammed al-Hindi, a high-ranking representative of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, said it was time for Abbas' Fatah faction to choose between "partnership and confrontation with the enemy". He also called on Abbas to revoke Israeli recognition of the PLO. "After 25 years in Oslo, 80% of Palestine has become Israel," he argued. "The remaining 20% of Palestine will be Juadiased and settlements will be built there."
Hani Thawabteh, a representative of the Popular Front of the PLO for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), told the conference that the Oslo Accords had "paved the way for the elimination of Palestinian national rights and the introduction of a siege policy for the Palestinian people" and its security forces He said that thanks to the Oslo Accords, he has become a "pawn" in the hands of Israel.
Talal Abu Tharifeh, a representative of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP), said the Oslo Accords had led to a dramatic increase in settlements and the number of settlers in the West Bank. He also called for stopping all forms of secret and public "normalization", contacts and negotiations with Israel.
Top Hamas official Khalil al-Haya said that "Palestinian national unity is the only way to get rid of the Oslo Accords." He called on the leadership of the PA to abandon the Olso agreements, which he called "historical catastrophe".
Many Palestinians also turned to social media to express their strong opposition to the "dastardly" Oslo Accords that they endorsed with the 1917 Balfour Declaration on Supporting the Establishment of a "National House for the Jewish People" Compared to Palestine.
"A quarter of a century ago the" Also Accords "were born and the [Palestinian] because died, "commented Palestinian poet and writer Mourid Barghouti.
Palestinian political scientist Abdel Sattar Qassem noted that the "Oslo catastrophe" had divided the Palestinians and destroyed their national unity.
Barghouti, a prominent Palestinian politician and activist from Ramallah, called for replacing the path of negotiations with Israel with an "alternative national strategy" based on "popular resistance, boycott and sanctions against Israel and the end of Palestinian divisions".
The Oslo Accords failed because they were "based on the assumption that Israel would accept compromises". Barghouti said that the main conclusion that should be drawn from the experience of the past 25 years is that the current US administration and Israel agree "to end the Oslo Accords and destroy the idea of an independent and sovereign Palestinian state ".
Sign up for Jerusalem Post Premium Plus for just $ 5 and expand your experience with an ad-free website and exclusive content. Click here >>