In this rainy season it is common for respiratory diseases caused by viruses to increase in the country and for the immune system to weaken. Faced with this situation, experts recommend strengthening the defenses through a balanced diet, which in turn helps prevent other health conditions.
Generally, fruits and vegetables are the foods that provide the most benefits, in this last group is found celery, a vegetable rich in vitamins and antioxidant compounds that prevent cell damage and prevent heart disease.
this vegetable, being low in calories, but rich in fibers, it increases satiety between meals and decreases fluid retentionTherefore, experts say that its consumption is beneficial for people who have to follow a controlled diet because of cholesterol.
Celery is a very versatile vegetable that has multiple properties for the body, according to the Tua Saúde portal, These are some of them:
- Exert antioxidant action: It is rich in flavonoids, vitamin C and other compounds with powerful antioxidant action, which prevents the onset of chronic diseases and takes care of heart health.
- Lower cholesterol: because it contains saponins and thanks to its antioxidant content, celery helps reduce “bad” LDL cholesterol, thus preventing its accumulation in the arteries and therefore the development of atherosclerosis.
- Lower blood pressure: It is rich in potassium and has diuretic action, in addition to containing antioxidants that allow blood vessels to relax, improve blood circulation and lower blood pressure.
- Promote weight loss: It could promote weight loss when combined with a healthy and balanced diet, as it helps reduce fluid retention, increases the feeling of satiety and provides vitamins that are important for metabolism.
- Prevent urinary infections: exerts diuretic properties They help prevent the onset of urinary infections and the formation of kidney stones.
- Control diabetes: It can help lower blood sugar, due to its fiber content and its antioxidant action, so including this vegetable in the daily diet could be beneficial for people with prediabetes and diabetes.
- Increase defenses: Because it is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A and antioxidants, its intake could help increase the immune system and improve the body’s defenses, preventing the onset of colds and flu.
- Hepatoprotective effect: It has a powerful hepatoprotective effect, because it has significant activity against liver damage, acting as a detoxifier of the body against some chemicals and medications, such as paracetamol and carbon tetrachloride.
- Maintain Gastrointestinal Health: It contains fibers that promote bowel movements, helping to relieve constipation. In addition to this, it could protect the gastric mucosa and prevent the formation of ulcers.
- Improve gout: It has components that make it have an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect, so it could be beneficial for people who suffer from gout, arthritis and high uric acid.
Despite the many properties and benefits of celery, it is not always convenient. It should not be consumed in case of acute kidney conditions, during pregnancy or if you suffer from disorders such as cystitis.