The incident that shocked the country six years ago today came to a close with the mother of the victim (also known as Nirbhaya, which means fearless), who thanked the Supreme Court of Justice for being late.

"Until they are hanged, they and other girls do not do justice, not just Nirbhaya, other girls in this country should get justice," said Asha Devi, the mother of the victim.

Three of the convicts, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh Singh, filed a mercy petition to the Supreme Court last year. Akshay Thakur, the fourth death row in prison, is expected to petition the court next week.

The defense counsel for two of the petitioners, A.P. Singh insisted that his clients had reason to submit a healing petition. A healing petition is the last remedy that can be filed if the defense attorney can prove a discrepancy in the verdict.

Singh said there was no merit in the conviction he attributed to pressure from the media and public opinion.

The four men were sentenced by the Delhi Supreme Court in 2013 and sentenced to death. However, they had appealed to the Supreme Court and challenged this decision. The Supreme Court had approved the ruling of the lower court in May 2017.
During the trial, one of the perpetrators, Ram Singh, committed suicide in 2013. Another attacker was convicted as a teenager and sentenced to three years of juvenile detention.


On the evening of December 16, 2012, the victim and a male friend drove home from a movie theater in South Delhi after seeing the movie "Life of Pi".

They got into a private bus and within minutes the men on the bus next to them were approached.

Six men separated the victims and the woman was taken to the back of the bus and raped several times. The male friend was disabled and beaten with iron bars.

According to the police, the men took turns raping the woman and beat her with an iron bar as they drove through the city.

The torture lasted for half an hour and the two were thrown off the bus and left on the side of the road. A police patrol car found her and immediately took her to the hospital.

The woman's injuries were severe and several internal organs were damaged. Eleven days later, she was sent to Singapore for further treatment and died of multiple organ failure on December 29, 2012.


The rape of the 23-year-old student had rocked the national capital and led to massive protests across the country within days. Thousands of people stormed the streets demanding women's safety and justice for the victim.

The protests led to stricter laws. The death penalty was introduced in the "rarest rare" rape cases. Penalties for harassment, harassment and sexual harassment have been initiated.

India now

The tightening of laws has not changed the crime statistics significantly. According to the National Crime Records Bureau, the total number of rape cases registered across the country in 2016 was over 55,000.

In April, there were renewed protests in India over the rape of an 8-year-old girl in Jammu. The lifeless body of the girl, who was stunned and raped by eight men in January, was found five days after her disappearance in January.

The incident prompted the Indian government to pass a temporary law imposing the death penalty on rapists of minor girls or those accused of mass rape.

The eight men are currently on trial for the rape and murder of a minor.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.