Düsseldorf Summer construction sites and many holidaymakers in Germany will cause plenty of traffic jams on the motorways in NRW during the summer holidays. The ADAC reveals which routes are particularly affected and what time of day it is best to start driving.
The summer holidays in North Rhine-Westphalia start on June 27th. Numerous people are still vacationing in their home country, so it should be full on Germany’s autobahns. At least on the first holiday weekend, holidaymakers from NRW can still hope for fewer traffic jams along the known travel routes, at least outside of their own state. NRW is the only federal state to start the summer holidays at the end of June. At the beginning of July there will also be holidays in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania and Schleswig-Holstein, followed by Berlin, Brandenburg and Hamburg (July 7th).
“Home and camping holidays have been popular for years. This is clearly noticeable on the trunk roads,” says ADAC traffic expert Roman Suthold. Car trips to neighboring countries are also possible again without any problems thanks to the abolition of corona restrictions. According to a survey by the Bavarian Center for Tourism in cooperation with the market research institute GfK (April 2022), almost 60 percent of summer vacationers want to use the car for trips in Germany. For destinations in other European countries, 47 percent indicated the car as the preferred means of travel.
However, the ADAC in NRW does not expect a jam chaos at the start of the holiday season. “In view of the increase in air travel again, the car is becoming less important for travel compared to the last two Corona years. And not everyone leaves in the first few weeks. Tourist traffic is spread over the entire summer holidays,” explains Suthold.
The ADAC sees the highest risk of traffic jams on the motorways in NRW during the summer holidays on Fridays from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., especially on the routes towards the North and Baltic Sea coasts, the Netherlands and on the way to the south . Motorists must expect delays, especially in the greater Cologne area and in the entire Ruhr area. Construction site sections in particular have an increased potential for congestion. When the weather is nice, day trippers or last-minute holidaymakers can cause numerous traffic jams. A lot of patience will be required on the access roads to the mountains and lakes.
“Basically, if you are flexible, you should set off between Monday and Thursday outside of rush hour or use Sunday as the day of arrival. If it has to be Friday or Saturday, then it’s worth starting early in the morning or in the evening,” advises ADAC specialist Suthold.
According to the ADAC, last year during the summer holidays in NRW a total of 30,357 traffic jam reports with a total length of 35,494 kilometers and a duration of 16,472 hours.
The motorways in NRW with an increased risk of traffic jams during the 2022 summer holidays:
• A1 Cologne – Dortmund – Osnabrück – Bremen
• A2 Oberhausen – Dortmund – Hanover
• A3 Emmerich – Oberhausen – Cologne – Frankfurt
• A31 Bottrop – Ochtrup – Emden
• A40 Dortmund – Essen – Duisburg – Straelen
• A42 Dortmund – Oberhausen
• A43 Wuppertal – Bochum – Herne – Recklinghausen
• A44 Bochum – Dortmund – Kassel
• A45 Dortmund – Hagen – Lüdenscheid
• A46 Dusseldorf – Wuppertal
• A52 Essen – Dusseldorf – Moenchengladbach
• A57 Cologne – Krefeld – Kleve
• A61 Nettetal – Moenchengladbach – Koblenz
• A1/ A3/ A4/ A57/ A59 greater Cologne area
The main summer construction sites and closures at a glance:
• A1: Six-lane widening north of Osnabrück between AS Bramsche and AS Lohne/Dinklage with partially narrowed two lanes in each direction
• A1: Preparatory work for bridge demolition north of the Unna junction with narrowed lanes in the direction of Bremen
• A1: Work on the replacement of the Liedbach Viaduct with restriction of the exits at the Unna junction (especially the A1 towards Münster on the A44 towards Kassel)
• A1: New construction of the Leverkusen bridge between Kreuz Leverkusen-West and junction Köln-Niehl, reduced and narrowed lanes
• A2: Road rehabilitation between Bottrop and Oberhausen with narrowed lanes in both directions
• A2: Bridge construction work between AS Kamen/Bergkamen and Kreuz Kamen with two narrowed lanes in the direction of Hanover and three in the direction of Oberhausen
• A3: roadway and bridge work in sections between the Siebengebirge junction and the Cologne-Heumar triangle and on to the Leverkusen junction with some narrowed and reduced lanes in both directions
• A4: Ceiling renovation between Dreieick Köln-Heumar and Kreuz Köln-Gremberg with full closure in the direction of Aachen (1 July from 10 p.m. to 4 July at 5 a.m.)
• A33: Road rehabilitation between Junction Schloss Holte-Stukenbrock and Stukenbrock-Senne with two lanes in the construction site
• A33: roadway rehabilitation between AS Paderborn-Zentrum and AS Paderborn-Schloss-Neuhaus with two lanes in the construction site
• A40: Surface renovation between Kreuz Kaiserberg and AS Mülheim-Heißen with complete closure in the direction of Dortmund (1 July from 8 p.m. to 11 July at 5 a.m.)
• A40: explosive ordnance detection at the Duisburg junction with one lane closed in the direction of Dortmund (24 June from 8 p.m. to 27 June at 5 a.m.)
• A40: New construction of the Rhine bridge at Neuenkamp between the Duisburg-Hafen junction and the Duisburg-Rheinhausen junction, closed to trucks with an axle load of more than 11.5 tonnes (weighing systems with barriers)
• A40: Removal of the accident black spot in the Gelsenkirchen-Süd junction with the exit and main lane closed in the direction of Dortmund (1 July from 8 p.m. to 4 July at 5 a.m.)
• A40: dismantling of the construction site security between AS Essen-Huttrop and AS Essen-Kray with closure of one lane in each direction (10 July, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.) and full nightly closure in the direction of Dortmund (until 11 July at 5 a.m.)
• A43: Six-lane widening between Recklinghausen and Herne, construction site traffic routing at the Herne junction
• A43: Closure of the Emscher Viaduct between Kreuz Recklinghausen and Kreuz Herne for vehicles over 3.5 tons, weighing systems with barriers in the direction of Münster (in front of Kreuz Herne) and Wuppertal (between Kreuz Recklinghausen and junction Recklinghausen-Hochlamark)
• A44: Surface renovation between AS Krefeld-Osterath and Kreuz Meerbusch with single-lane traffic routing (1.7.-12.7.)
• A45: Complete closure of the Rahmede viaduct near Lüdenscheid
• A46: Permanent construction site between AS Haan-Ost and Sonnborner Kreuz with complete closure in the direction of Düsseldorf (28 July from 10 p.m. to 1 August at 5 a.m.) and Dortmund (4 August from 10 p.m. to 8 August at 5 a.m.)
• A46: Road renewal between AS Bestwig and Kreuz Meschede with only one lane narrowed in each direction
• A57: Surface renovation between Kreuz Kamp-Lintfort and AS Asdonkshof with single-lane traffic routing in the direction of Nijmegen (29 July from 10 p.m. to 1 August at 5 a.m. and 5 August from 10 p.m. to 8 August at 5 a.m.)
• A57: Replacement bridge dismantling between Kreuz Meerbusch and AS Krefeld-Oppum with complete closure in both directions (29 July from 9 p.m. to 1 August at 5 a.m.)
• A59: Removal of the accident blackspot in the Duisburg-Großenbaum junction with the exit and main lane closed in the direction of Dinslaken (29 July from 10 p.m. to 1 August at 5 a.m.)
• A59: explosive ordnance detection between AS Duisburg-Ruhrort and AS Duisburg-Meiderich with one lane closed in the direction of Düsseldorf (8 July from 8 p.m. to 11 July at 5 a.m.)
• A59: Bridge work at the Leverkusen-West junction with full closure in both directions (5 August from 8 p.m. to 8 August at 5 a.m.), traffic connection from Düsseldorf (A59) to Dortmund/Koblenz (A1) remains open
• A61: Concrete slab renovation between Dreieck Erfttal and AS Bergheim with complete closure in the direction of Venlo (from July 1st)
Drivers can also find up-to-date information about the construction site situation in NRW and throughout Germany here.