Shortcomings to the dismissal: In some cars, the trouble is always with. This is shown by the new TÜV report. But there are also models that can do a lot better – and therefore are used as a recommendation.
Germany's cars are becoming increasingly insecure: More than every fifth vehicle (21.5 percent) rattles at the TÜV by the main inspection (HU) – because of significant deficiencies. This is 0.3 percent more than in the previous year, as shown by the current report of the testing organization. But there are also used cars, which are characterized by very few deficiencies in the test.
Mercedes GLC is the best car in the TÜV report
Mercedes GLC: In the latest TÜV report cuts the SUV from the best. (Source: Manufacturer)
No one has fewer shortcomings: The Mercedes GLC is the big winner in the current TÜV report. At the age of two to three years, only 2.17 percent of the SUV show significant deficiencies. Every hundredth GLC masters the first main study with slight defects (1.1 percent), the vast majority of 96.7 percent cuts without defects.
These are the best in class
In addition to the overall winner GLC Mercedes also dominated the overview of the best in class. In four out of six segments, the models from Stuttgart are right at the front.
Photo series with 10 pictures
- Microcar: Opel Adam
- Small car: Audi A1
- Compact car: Mercedes A-Class
- Middle class: Mercedes C-class
- SUV: Mercedes GLC
- Vans: Mercedes B-Class
These are the losers in the TÜV report
But where there is a lot of light, there is also a lot of shade. One in ten cars with significant deficiencies – after only two to three years: These models score the worst in the HU:
- Micro Car: Ford Ka (deficiency ratio 10.7 percent)
- Small car: Fiat Punto (10.8 percent)
- Compact car: Dacia Logan (13.7 percent)
- Middle class: Ford Mondeo (9.1 percent)
- SUV: Dacia Duster (11.7 percent)
- Vans: Citroën Berlingo (11.2 percent)
The results of the TÜV report at a glance
- 21.5 percent of the tested cars were through with significant deficiencies. They must be repaired and presented again to the examiner. Only then will they receive a new inspection sticker.
- Another 9.7 percent (minus 2.3 percent) of the cars had low deficiencies. You will receive a new sticker. However, the holder must subsequently take care of the elimination of the defects noted in the test report.
- 68.8 percent (plus 1.1 percent) of the cars were faultless.
- 0.1 percent of the cars were classified as traffic-insecure and shut down immediately. That's about 15,000 vehicles in just one year.
Increasing age becomes a problem
The many serious shortcomings – they have one reason in particular: Our cars are getting older and older. This proves the TÜV statistics. The older the cars are on the test bench, the higher the failure rate at the HU:
- Only 5.8 percent of two- to three-year-old cars have significant shortcomings.
- At the age of six to seven, it is already 16.4 percent.
- At the age of ten to eleven years, 28.2 percent of cars fail at the HU.
|vehicle age||Significant deficiencies|
|2-3 years||5.8 percent|
|6-7 years||16.4 percent|
|10-11 years||28.2 percent|
On average, our cars are now 9.5 years old – a record. In 2010, the average age was 8.1 years, in 2000 even at only 6.9 years. That may be because cars are becoming ever more durable. But it could also be related to the high prices for new cars.
Anyway, it has consequences, says TÜV Association Managing Director. Joachim Bühler: "The increasing average age is a challenge for traffic safety."
Main investigation must go with the time
Our cars are not only older, but also smarter – and always environmentally friendly. At least that's what lawmakers demand. With this change, the HU must keep pace, the TÜV demands: "The main study must be made fit for the future with new test criteria for digitally controlled assistance systems and new measurements for the emission test," says Bühler. But it would be necessary to create the legal basis – and not at some point. But right now.
(t) TüV (t) SUV (t) road safety (t) new car (t) Mercedes (t) used car