From Argentines With residence in Uruguay, they traveled from Buenos Aires to the neighboring country on a Buquebus boat, and upon reaching their destination, they discovered that they had COVID-19. As a result, some 250 passengers – who were on that trip – will be swabbed.
The trip in which the two infected people were going was last Friday, June 26, and only this Wednesday was confirmed that they tested positive for the disease, so the health authorities of that country decided to contact all the passengers of the ship, according to local press reported.
The cases of Argentine father and son were confirmed this Wednesday by the National Emergency System (Sinae), which reported that both remain isolated in the Uruguayan department of Maldonado.
It transpired that when they boarded the ship on Friday, neither man had symptoms; however, being in Uruguay they found out that a close person had the virus, so they decided to have a swab, which gave them a positive result.
Although the borders of Uruguay remain closed due to the health emergency of the pandemic, the country allows the entry of people with residence there, be they Uruguayans or foreigners.
In a press conference held this Thursday, the president of that country, Luis Lacalle Pou, referred to the entry of infected Argentine citizens, and said that they are not tourists, but are people authorized by decree to enter the country.
“What is happening in our country is that there is a modified decree, which is not only for entry by river but by air or land, which is the entry of certain people to our country, which is what is happening, and there is a protocol in this regard, “said the president.
In addition, Lacalle Pou reiterated that Uruguay is not open to tourism and anticipated that “there is no intention that this will be the case.”
In Uruguay, and since the start of the outbreak last March, a total of 943 positive cases of Covid-19 have been registered so far, with 28 people dead.