This will be the gas station of the future

An aesthetic public space where you can get everything, except of course petrol.

The rise of electric vehicles and the transition to the EU planned for 2035 are forcing fuel distributors to speed up their solutions. In this case, however, it will not be enough for the pious motorist to pay at the well within minutes when refueling: electric charging is much more time-consuming than conventional charging, therefore

the companies operating the wells have to build a separate philosophy around it.

The sight is quite refreshing, the picture above, taken in London, is far from the atmosphere we are used to at a traditional gas station. And yet the station was very much the same, the Shell replaced the petrol ones for ten electric fast chargers, and made a decoration from solar panels and natural materials. The company tests this prototype and develops its electric wells based on the feedback, which, according to its plans, will make it a global leader by 2050.

Oil companies, regional chains and independent companies operate almost 800,000 gas stations worldwide. The biggest question is whether there will be a need for complete, multi-post charging stations after the electric transition

one of the main features of electric charging is that it can be done even in office parking lots, shopping centers or even at home.

Do people go to a filling station that looks like a classic, knowing that the operation time is much longer than what they are used to?

According to the companies, the answer is yes. On the one hand, charging at wells will be much faster: an operation that takes several hours at home can be reduced to 20 minutes with the help of fast chargers. On the other hand – and taking this into account will be almost mandatory for e-wells – the stations will only be placed in an infrastructural environment where everything is in place so that the driver and his passengers can spend the waiting time meaningfully. That is, they are installed in places with high traffic, where

the well fits into a specific hospitality infrastructure, not the other way around

– the point is that charging becomes an attractive and not annoyingly boring activity for car owners.

The competition between companies operating filling stations will be incredibly fierce. According to the calculations of the strategic consulting firm McKinsey & Co

demand for gasoline will drop to $79 billion by 2030, while revenue from charging electric vehicles will reach $20 billion.

However, the dynamic development of e-charging takes place differently at the user level. According to the company, roughly 80 percent of the charging will be done by the owners at home, and the remaining 20 percent will be shared by the energy companies. And there, they even have to compete with simple charging points whose operators don’t even want to build a large network of charging stations. It won’t be an easy race, but those who get to the top have a won cause.

Photo: Shell