Trade and tourism sustainability focus the last two projects in Gijón to aspire to European funds | BE Gijón | Today for Today Gijón

The City Council of Gijón has submitted two projects to the call opened by the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Tourism, within the Fondos Next Generation of the European Union. One of them seeks to strengthen commercial activity in tourist areas while the other wants to consolidate the municipality as a cultural and intelligent destination through the adaptation of roads. It is explained by the General Director of Innovation of the City Council, Patricia García Zapico.

The iframe code has been copied to the clipboard


‘Shopping in Gijón: improvement of commercial activity in tourist areas’

It would be developed in 2021 and 2022. The project, which will reach 400 shops of the city, aims to give a boost to shopping tourism in Gijón and increase the attractiveness of the commercial hubs located in the areas with the highest tourist influx of the municipality. Thus, actions of pedestrianization and accessibility of certain shopping streets and introduce smart commercial and tourist signage, which encourages visitors to combine the visit and knowledge of Gijón, with shopping in its most unique establishments.

In addition, a set of shopping routes will be generated in which select businesses will be integrated, an initiative supported by a website and an app specifically dedicated to this purpose. At the same time, an awareness plan on sustainability, circular economy and the fight against climate change will be developed and technical assistance will be provided to commercial establishments, for the implementation of sustainability plans and actions, with the aim of bringing them closer to the Biosphere Sustainable certification. Lifestyle.

See also  Neuenburg am Rhein: Control by the Federal Police in Neuenburg am Rhein - criminal charges for a forged visa

Finally, a language training program will be offered (English, French and German), on three levels, for commercial establishments located in the most touristy areas. The budget for this project is 555,852 euros, of which 30% will correspond to the municipal contribution and the remaining 70%, from European funds.

‘Gijón, sustainable identity, sustainability and digitization’

The second proposal is a Destination Tourism Sustainability Plan, articulated in four axes whose priority actions are aimed at consolidating Gijón as a cultural and intelligent destination.

The iframe code has been copied to the clipboard


The first of them under the title ‘Green and sustainable transition’ is aimed at the adaptation of roads and infrastructures and the landscape restoration of spaces, works and equipment. It includes the adaptation of the west exit of the Santiago’s road in Gijón and the environmental restoration and conditioning for tourist use of the coastline.

The second -‘Improvement of energy efficiency’- seeks to improve the mobility and walkability of the destination, and the contribution to the mitigation of climate change. It incorporates the most intelligent and sustainable tourist mobility, and the conditioning and improvement of the energy efficiency of the Pilgrims’ Hostel.

The third -‘Digital transition’- seeks to improve processes through the use of technology. It includes the program to promote the digitization of the tourism sector, to provide the destination with business intelligence tools and improve the management and competitiveness of the destination and its services, as well as the creation of the Smart Tourism Office, leading a process of technological transformation in the tourist information service, and the application of digital technologies for the tourist use of the historical heritage of the city, promoting the digitization of several museums with innovative solutions.

See also  The horror remains: The eternal renovation of a Berlin pedestrian tunnel - Berlin

And the fourth under the heading of ‘Competitiveness’ includes actions to create and promote new facilities in the destination and actions related to the constant improvement of destination management. It includes the recovery and conditioning for tourist use of the anti-aircraft shelters in the old town as a valuable historical heritage, and the management, monitoring and evaluation of the Plan, to provide the destination with the necessary resources for its execution and coordination.

The Destination Tourism Sustainability Plan will have a duration of 3 years, during the period 2022-2024. The project has a budget of almost four million euros and would have a municipal financing of 30%.