Boris Becker appeared in court in London on Thursday. Once again, the former tennis professional had to answer for his bankruptcy proceedings. He pleaded “not guilty”.
Boris Becker has again denied allegations by British investigators in proceedings related to his bankruptcy. He pleaded “not guilty” on all counts, said Becker on Thursday at a hearing in a London court. Becker is said to have not correctly disclosed his assets in connection with his bankruptcy. In the video above or here watch the three-time Wimbledon winner arrive at the London court.
Becker had already rejected the allegations at a hearing in September. The list of allegations has now grown from 19 to 28 charges. The 52-year-old is now accused, among other things, of withholding several trophies, including the trophy for his first Wimbledon victory in 1985. He is also said to have concealed real estate and bank balances and transferred large sums to the accounts of his former girlfriends Barbara and Lilly Becker. These allegations are new and should they substantiate Becker threatened with up to seven years imprisonment.
Lawyer: “He is completely innocent”
Becker’s attorney Jonathan Caplan said the former tennis star is determined to dispel the allegations and restore his reputation. “He is completely innocent and intends to defend himself in court in due course,” said Becker’s spokesman Aaron Stephans after the hearing.
A bankruptcy court in London had declared the three-time Wimbledon winner insolvent in June 2017 due to unpaid debts. The court hearing on Thursday was about procedural details. The actual trial against Becker is to begin on September 13 next year in London and last up to four weeks.