Twitter Announces Exit of Executives and Freezes Hiring Ahead of Musk Buyout

First modification: 13/05/2022 – 00:00Last modification: 12/05/2022 – 23:58

San Francisco (AFP) – Twitter confirmed on Thursday the departure of two top executives and that most hiring has stopped, while Elon Musk prepares to become the new owner of the global messaging platform.

Kayvon Beykpour, a general manager who leads research, design and engineering at Twitter, is leaving alongside product leader Bruce Falck, a Twitter spokesman told AFP.

Beykpour, however, said he was fired from the company.

“The truth is that this is not how I imagined leaving Twitter, and it was not my decision,” Beykpour, who was on paternity leave when he received the news, said in a tweet.

He added that Twitter boss Parag Agrawal had asked him to leave, saying he “wants to take the team in a different direction.”

The platform also confirmed that it froze new hires from this week and that it is only incorporating essential positions for the business.

The decisions after the purchase of Twitter by Elon Musk last month, for the sum of 44,000 million dollars, although it still needs to be approved by shareholders and regulators.

The acquisition is expected to close in late 2022 and Musk will serve as chief for at least a while.

One of the changes in direction that is expected with Musk is that the permanent bans will be minimal, calling them a “morally bad” decision that undermines trust in Twitter as a public online square where everyone can be heard.

One of the accounts on which the ban would be lifted is that of former President Donald Trump, suspended after the storming of the Capitol in January 2021, Musk told the Financial Times.