United States: Farc removed from list of terrorist organizations


Lhe US government intends to remove the former rebels of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (Farc) from its blacklist of foreign terrorist organizations. The United States Congress was notified of the decision on Tuesday, November 23, a parliamentary source told Agence France-Presse.

This decision comes on the eve of the fifth anniversary of the peace accords that ended the war in the country. “I can confirm that the government today sent a notification to Congress informing us that they will remove the Farc from the list of terrorist organizations,” the source said. Previously, the spokesman for American diplomacy, Ned Price, had confined himself to reporting a “notification” about the next steps taken by Washington concerning the FARCs.

READ ALSOColombia: the coffee of peace

The most powerful guerrillas in Latin America

The Farc had been on the American blacklist since 1997, which allows for a series of financial and diplomatic sanctions against certain groups and their members. On November 24, 2016, they signed a peace agreement with the then Colombian President, Juan Manuel Santos, after negotiations in Cuba. Considered the most powerful guerrilla in Latin America with 13,000 combatants, the Farc have since disarmed, even if peace remains fragile in a country still subject to violence and divided.

Having become a political party (Comunes), the former rebellion is now a negligible political force. “The peace process and the signing of the peace agreement five years ago was a real turning point for the long Colombian conflict,” Ned Price recalled, stressing that he had ended five decades of conflict. and placed Colombia “on the path of a just and lasting peace”. “We have done everything to preserve it, at every stage,” he added. “We remain fully committed to working with our Colombian partners on the implementation of the peace agreement. “


The editorial team advises you