The terrorist attacks on Sri Lanka's Easter Sunday, which killed at least 321 people, could have been prevented if key information was passed on correctly, the Prime Minister admitted.
Eight Britons were among those who died in a series of blasts across the country against churches and hotels. In total, more than 500 people were injured.
The police have investigated if there are warnings of attacks were ignored or missed before the violence began, and now Ranil Wickremesinghe has confirmed that there has been a "breakdown of communication".
At a press conference on Tuesday, the Prime Minister said: "We could have prevented these attacks, or at least reduced the number of attacks."
He added that important information had been properly transmitted to the relevant authorities, including himself. Anti-terrorism measures could have been launched "much faster".
Mr Wickremesinghe said that a preliminary investigation had been initiated into why the intelligence services had never reached him and that the defense leaders would be replaced "within the next 24 hours". A complete restructuring of the police and security forces will follow "in the coming weeks". ,
His update took place on a national day of mourning in Sri Lanka. In the capital Colombo and in the coastal city Negombo mass burials and funerals took place.
He said the investigators made "good progress" in identifying the attacks, with Britain and the FBI providing assistance to foreign allies.
The Islamic State (IS) has claimed that its "fighters" are responsible, but has not presented any evidence.
Mr Wickremesinghe said the bombers were likely to have "external relations" and the IS claim is under investigation, but the 40 arrested suspects are all Sri Lankan citizens.
"Some of the suspects are on the run," the prime minister added.
"Some of these suspects are armed and dangerous, there are still explosives and militants and the police are looking for them."
Despite IS's allegation, the Sri Lankan Ministry of Defense believes that two domestic Islamist organizations are responsible for the attacks and that they are "retaliatory." the shootings of the New Zealand mosque in Christchurch.
But New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's office said they had "seen no information on which such an assessment could be based."
As the investigation and widespread grief continue, there will be a nationwide daily curfew and all social media from 9pm is still prohibited in Sri Lanka to "relieve tension".
Police and military have also been given emergency powers by the government to arrest and interrogate suspects without a court order.
British Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt has sent specialists from the Metropolitan Police to help – and they are also tasked with bringing British citizens home.
Seven British who were killed in the attacks were namedHowever, it is not known if there were among the hundreds injured in the various explosions.
In total, the bomb victims are at least 31 foreigners from at least 12 countries, including three children of the Danish billionaire and ASOS shareholder Anders Holch Povlsen.
Unicef said 45 children are among those who have died.
British people in need of assistance in Sri Lanka are kindly requested to call the High Commission in Colombo on +94 11 5390639. People in the UK who care about friends or family should call the International Office on 020 7008 1500.