Copyright: picture alliance/dpa
Users of the WhatsApp messenger app must expect changes from November 1, 2021. As WhatsApp announced, the service will be discontinued on 40 devices. These devices are affected.
Cologne. Almost everyone knows them, almost everyone uses them. What is meant is the WhatsApp messenger app! However, users of older smartphone models in particular must now expect changes.
As of November 1, 2021, WhatsApp will no longer offer the full service for certain devices. The popular application will no longer work on all smartphones in the future.
WhatsApp: Messenger app discontinues service on 11/1/2021 on 40 devices
The procedure is not unknown. WhatsApp programmers stop developing the service for older operating systems at certain intervals.
Reason: Among other things, the developers fear a lack of security updates for old software. It is already known which models are to be affected.
The US business magazine “Entrepreneur” has published a list. This has not yet been confirmed by WhatsApp.
WhatsApp can then only be installed on smartphones with the operating systems from Android 4.1, iOS 10 and KaiOS 2.5.1.
WhatsApp discontinues service: These devices are affected
A total of 40 models are therefore on the red list. Whether your cell phone is included – here is an overview of the affected devices.
- Alcatel: One Touch Evo 7
- Huawei: Ascend G740, Ascend Mate, Ascend D Quad XL, Ascend D1 Quad XL, Ascend P1 S, und Ascend D2
- LG: Lucid 2, Optimus Prime F7, Optimus F5, Optimus L3 II Dual, Optimus F5, Optimus L5, Optimus L5 II, Optimus L5 Dual, Optimus L3 II, Optimus L7, Optimus L7 II Dual, Optimus Prime L7 II, Optimus F6, Enact Optimus L4 II Dual, Optimus F3, Optimus L4 II, Optimus L2 II, Optimus Prime Nitro HD and 4X HD und Optimus F3Q
- Samsung: Galaxy Trend Lite, Galaxy Trend II, Galaxy SII, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy Xcover 2, Galaxy Core and Galaxy Ace 2
- Sony: Xperia Miro, Sony Xperia Neo L, Xperia Arc S
- ZTE: Grand S Flex, ZTE V956, Grand X Quad V987 und Grand Memo
- Other manufacturers: Archos 53 Platinum, HTC Desire 500, Caterpillar Cat B15, Wiko Cink Five, Wiko Darknight, Lenovo A820, UMi X2, Faea F1 und THL W8.
- We had wrongly reported that also three iPhone models affected are: Apple iPhone SE, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPhone 6S Plus. The models can be updated to IOs 10 and higher. So WhatsApp can still be used.
According to the report, WhatsApp recommends switching to newer models. Before doing this, users should create a backup of the chat history. Otherwise all chat content will be lost.
Tip: Before you get a new smartphone, you should check under Settings which operating system is currently installed and whether the last update was actually carried out. (mt)