While at home, Australians are encouraged to do business as usual, it’s a different matter for travelers.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has again extended the Australian travel ban to Italian people following a similar ban on South Korea, China and Iran.
In addition to level 4 warnings for China, Iran, Italy, and parts of South Korea, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade has raised its advisory level for a number of other countries due to the risk of coronavirus transmission.
CONNECTION: You should cancel your travel plans
CONNECTION: Follow our coronavirus coverage
This is the latest advice from DFAT, where travel is no longer safe, as well as the countries or regions that have become more risky for travelers due to coronavirus outbreaks.
For most other countries, except for those who have travel warnings for other reasons, DFAT said that Australians should continue to take normal safety precautions and not feel like they need to rethink their trip.
“For the coronavirus, this means taking reasonable measures to minimize the risk of exposure, such as: B. Good hand hygiene. This does not mean that you have to rethink or cancel your travel plans to these countries, ”says the department.
Travelers who are not sure whether to continue planning their trip should register at smartraveller.gov.au and register for their destination of interest.
LEVEL 4: DO NOT TRAVEL
DFAT advises the Australians to “not travel to China” where the virus originated. This is the highest warning level on the department’s four-tier advisory scale.
“We are now advising Australians not to travel to China after the chief medical officer has indicated an increased risk of novel coronaviruses across mainland China,” Foreign Minister Marise Payne tweeted on February 1.
“If you are in China, go as soon as possible.”
The federal government’s ban on travelers from China to enter Australia has been extended until March 7, although some concessions have been made for older students.
Australians evacuated from the Wuhan virus epicenter on government-organized mercy flights had to be quarantined for 14 days before they could return home.
Many of the world’s airlines, including Qantas, have canceled flights to China and cut back flights across Asia.
There were more than 80,000 cases of coronavirus in China. The Australian government has extended the China travel ban four times since February 1st.
The Iranian Council was announced on February 29, “Do not travel” due to a local outbreak of the coronavirus.
The virus has so far claimed more than 66 deaths from 1501 confirmed cases, giving Iran the highest virus mortality rate outside of China.
However, official figures from the Iranian Ministry of Health are controversial and there are concerns that the death toll could be much higher.
A number of newly confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia are linked to Iran.
Federal Minister of Health Greg Hunt said on Sunday March 1 that Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family who have traveled to Iran must strictly isolate themselves, “in line with the decision made regarding people who visited China.
The Australians had already been warned to rethink their trip to Iran due to the country’s volatile political situation and the risk of conflict, terrorist attacks, and the risk of arbitrary detention or arrest of foreigners.
DAEGU, SOUTH KOREA
The council for the city of Daegu in South Korea was referred to as “do not travel” on March 5 due to a growing number of coronavirus cases.
The revised bans apply until Saturday, March 14th. However, the government will review the situation within a week to determine if travel restrictions need to be further extended. The rest of South Korea is subject to a Level 3 ban that advises travelers to “rethink their travel needs.”
Mr. Morrison said South Korea poses a greater risk to Australia than countries like Italy, as it has five times the number of passengers traveling to Australia. The total number of confirmed cases in South Korea is now 5,766, including 35 deaths, according to the country’s disease control and prevention centers. The outbreak has increased significantly in the past few weeks, with most cases being reported in and around Daegu City.
On Thursday, the federal government announced that Italy was added to the Australian travel ban list after the country’s cases increased massively and the Italian prime minister blocked the country.
Last week, DFAT asked travelers to select 10 small towns in Lombardy (Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano) and one in Veneto (Vo’Euganeo) rethink those isolated by the Italian authorities.
But this ban was extended nationwide on Tuesday at 6 p.m. local time.
Australians returning from Italy are also asked to quarantine themselves if they work in the healthcare or elderly care sector.
Italy has seen a massive increase in coronavirus cases and the death toll increased from 366 to 463 on Monday. It is the most affected country after China.
LEVEL 2: “Be very careful”
Japan fell into DFAT’s Level 2 warning when that Diamond princess The cruise ship became a quarantine center after the ship hosted one of the largest coronavirus outbreaks outside of China. More than 700 people who were on board tested positive. 170 Australians helped to leave the ship after traveling on board.
There had been about 3,700 people in luxury Diamond princess when it landed in Yokohama on February 4 after a two-week trip through Southeast Asia.
The ship was blocked when it was found that a previous passenger who had left the ship during a stop in Hong Kong had tested positive for the virus. Six people on board the ship died of the virus. A total of 706 passengers and crew members from 3711 on board the Diamond princess were diagnosed with coronavirus.
The Australian government has currently issued a travel report against all non-essential trips to Japan due to health concerns regarding the spread of the corona virus.
The Japanese government has downplayed speculation as to whether the Tokyo Summer Olympics will take place from July 24th to August 9th this year, as the number of coronavirus cases in the country exceeded 1,000.
Although not one of the most popular travel destinations for Australian travelers on this list, the Australian government has increased its level of advice to Mongolia due to the coronavirus risk and poor medical standards in the Asian country.
While no cases of coronavirus have been registered in Mongolia, concerns about the shared border with China are greater. Even the Mongolian president was quarantined, fearing the spread of the virus.
DFAT is now advising travelers to exercise a high degree of caution in Mongolia.
“The standard of medical care is poor,” the department advises. “Many flight services have been discontinued.
“In recognition of these circumstances, the Secretary of State has offered to support the voluntary departure of members of the Australian embassy staff.”
DFAT said that travelers who have traveled to or crossed China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, South Korea, Italy, Japan, or Iran in the 14 days prior to their arrival in Mongolia will be denied entry.
“Contact your airline, tour operator, or nearest Mongolian embassy for the latest information,” said the department.
At the end of last month, Mongolian President Battulga Khaltmaa and other government officials were quarantined for 14 days after a return from a diplomatic visit to Beijing.