Woman demands $ 100 million from Texas electricity companies – La Prensa de Monclova

HOUSTON – The mother of an 11-year-old boy, who died after losing power and heat in her Texas mobile home during last week’s frost, filed a $ 100 million lawsuit against two power companies for gross negligence.

María Pineda said that the Electrical Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and Entergy Corp are responsible for the death of her son Cristian, who was found dead on the morning of February 16 at his home, where he shared a bed with his brother. 3 years.

More than 4 million people in Texas were without power and at least two dozen died after a snowstorm covered the state last week and brought temperatures well below freezing.

The lawsuit filed Saturday accuses the defendants of ignoring a recommendation from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission following a 2011 frost to prepare the power grid for winters, and of being “totally off guard” when the grid failed last week. .

Cristián froze to death “because the grid was not a priority, and the energy provider made decisions based on profits,” alleges the lawsuit filed in Jefferson County District Court.

The family lives in Conroe, Texas, a suburb of Houston.

ERCOT, a cooperative responsible for about 90% of Texas electricity, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.

Entergy declined to discuss the lawsuit, but a spokesperson said:

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of life in our community.”

Pineda’s attorney, Tony Buzbee, told ABC News that he represents seven families who suffered deaths after the storm, and that more lawsuits against the power companies are planned.

An autopsy is being performed on Cristian, ABC News said.

ERCOT began conducting blackouts on February 15, saying they were necessary to prevent a cascading supply drop across the state.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.