Details: The Director-General of WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu, who had just returned from a trip to the Democratic Republic of the Congo along with CDC Director Robert Redfield, pointed out that despite the continuing outbreak in the Congo, he did not expand to other countries.

  • He also said that the number of new cases per week has dropped since January.

"Despite the incredibly difficult situation, the outbreak was withheld in eleven of the 28 communities where cases occurred," said Tedros. "You can not say it fails when the outbreak contracts."

Tedros warned that the outbreak could get worse as the security situation worsens.

Context: Medical teams facing this outbreak are fighting violent attacks by rebel groups and communities with a high level of distrust of them last Thursday.

Last week, MSF called for a new approach to win the trust of the local population. One of MSF's biggest concerns is that a high proportion of new deaths are due to community cases that were previously unknown to the authorities. In such cases, the virus can become more widespread.

Johns Hopkins health expert Jennifer Nuzzo says she still has concerns over the reliability of the case statistics because of the interruptions due to security incidents. "I'm really worried we're missing cases," she tells Axios.

Go deeper: Axios & # 39; complete Ebola Outbreak coverage

,

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.