A 30-year-old wellness influencer died from severe blood loss after giving birth at her Melbourne home, an Australian court has been told. Stacey Warnecke was attended by her husband and an unregulated doula when she delivered her son on September 29.
Stacey Warnecke’s Home Birth and Death
Warnecke’s condition rapidly declined after the birth, and paramedics were called around 4:30 a.m., the Victorian Coroners Court was told Wednesday. Upon arrival, paramedics found Warnecke looking yellow and struggling to breathe while seated near a birthing pool, counsel assisting Rachel Ellyard said.
She was transported to Frankston Hospital but could not be saved. It is suspected Warnecke died from complications following a postpartum hemorrhage, Ellyard said. The hospital’s supply of her blood type was exhausted during attempts to save her.
Warnecke’s death was reported to police, and her husband, Nathan, provided a statement. However, the doula, Emily Lal, refused to provide a statement. Police found that Warnecke’s home had been extensively cleaned by Lal the day after the birth.
The coroner’s investigation will include Warnecke’s interactions with Lal. It will also examine her views on the healthcare system, her birth plan decisions, and broader attitudes influenced by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Warnecke was a qualified nutritionist who promoted a healthy and “chemical-free” lifestyle on social media. She appeared profoundly affected by COVID-19 mandates, and those concerns influenced her pregnancy and birth decisions.
During her pregnancy, Warnecke declined all healthcare, including ultrasounds and appointments with midwives or obstetricians. She wanted a home birth and contacted Lal, who advertised herself as a free birth “keeper” on social media.
Victoria’s Health Complaints Commissioner announced in October an investigation into Lal over allegations of facilitating homebirths that could put mothers and babies at risk.
The coroner will seek statements from Lal, as well as the paramedics, doctors, and nurses who treated Warnecke. The case is scheduled to return to the coroners court in March for a further directions hearing.
Discover more from Archyworldys
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.