Donald Trump stated Friday he briefly reviewed a video depicting Barack and Michelle Obama as apes before passing it on to a staff member to post on his Truth Social account, though he deflected blame for the move. The incident has sparked speculation within his circle regarding the responsibility for the post, with attention turning to aide Natalie Harp.
Trump Claims Staffer Posted Racist Video
The video, which appeared Thursday night, superimposed the Obamas’ faces onto cartoon apes dancing to “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” and was part of a post promoting conspiracy theories about the 2020 election. Trump claimed he only saw the beginning of the video, which he said focused on voter fraud, and then delegated the posting to staff.
“No, I looked at the first part. It was really about voter fraud and the machines – how crooked it is, how disgusting it is,” Trump said. “Then I gave it to the people, generally they’d look at the whole thing but I guess somebody didn’t and they posted it. And then we deleted it.”
Trump indicated he would not fire the staffer involved and does not plan to apologize, asserting he made no mistake.
Focus Shifts to Natalie Harp
Advisers have largely dismissed the possibility of Dan Scavino being responsible, citing his current role managing presidential personnel. Instead, focus has centered on Harp, who has previously been involved in Trump’s communications.
Harp, 35, is known for her loyalty to Trump and often provides him with printed copies of tweets and news articles. She has also faced criticism from colleagues for perceived poor judgment, including sending a critical text message to a major donor in 2024.
The White House initially defended the video, with press secretary Karoline Leavitt dismissing criticism as “fake outrage” and characterizing it as an internet meme. The post was later deleted following condemnation, including from Senator Tim Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate.
Trump reportedly told Scott the video’s posting was a staff error and that he would remove it, according to CBS News.
Despite the reversal, Trump’s advisers suggest there will likely be no repercussions for anyone involved in the incident.
Discover more from Archyworldys
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.