Bondi Shooters: Radicalized Years Ago? Ex-Asio Claims

0 comments

Claims have emerged that the father and son responsible for the Bondi Beach attack, Sajid and Naveed Akram, displayed signs of radicalization years prior to the December 14th incident that left 15 people dead. The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (Asio) previously assessed Naveed Akram, then 17, over alleged associations with an Islamic State cell in 2019, but later determined he was not an ongoing threat.

Asio Disputes Four Corners Report

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s (ABC) Four Corners program broadcast the claims on Monday night, despite a pre-emptive statement from Asio asserting the episode contained “significant errors of fact.” Asio stated it had reviewed the program’s content based on questions submitted by the ABC before broadcast.

“If the ABC chooses to publish claims it cannot substantiate – particularly ones it has been told are untrue – we will reserve our right to take further action,” Asio said in a statement released Sunday night.

The ABC confirmed it had not received any further communication from Asio since the broadcast and had not been presented with any legal threats. Asio declined to comment on potential future action.

Undercover Agent’s Testimony

During the program, a former undercover agent, identified as “Marcus,” claimed he provided Asio with detailed information regarding Naveed Akram’s association with an Islamic State cell during his time working undercover as a radical cleric. Asio has dismissed Marcus’s statements as “unsubstantiated.”

The ABC reported that Naveed Akram associated with members of a terror cell and followers of radical cleric Wisam Haddad as a teenager.

“What happened on Bondi beach was a result of a set of errors and a disregard for information,” Marcus told the ABC. “How [could] someone like this [have] fled out of Asio and Australian authorities’ radar?”

Marcus stated that Sajid Akram expressed support for Islamic State during a meeting in 2019, and that the father also reportedly admired a leading al-Qaida propagandist in a conversation with another individual.

“After this conversation, I thought Sajid was more extremist than his son,” Marcus said.

A senior counter-terrorism official familiar with the current investigation told the ABC that Sajid Akram may have already been radicalized when he met with Asio to discuss his son as part of the agency’s assessment.

Sajid Akram was fatally shot by police during the attack on December 14th. Naveed Akram remains in custody, facing 59 charges.

Asio Criticizes Source

Prior to the program’s airing, Asio described Marcus as an unreliable and disgruntled source who has since left Australia and is currently in hiding. Asio maintained that the claims made by Four Corners were investigated at the time and found to be unsubstantiated.

Marcus has denied Asio’s claim that he misidentified Naveed Akram, stating he met with him regularly over several years.

Marcus indicated he is prepared to provide evidence to a royal commission regarding his reports to Asio about the father and son’s support for Islamic State.

Royal Commission Underway

A federal royal commission was announced last month to examine the prevalence of antisemitism, law enforcement responses to antisemitism, the circumstances surrounding the Bondi attack, and strategies for strengthening social cohesion.

Independent MP Andrew Wilkie stated that Four Corners has a reputation for reliable journalism, but also expressed respect for Asio Director-General Mike Burgess, noting the truth of the allegations remains uncertain. The royal commission will be able to examine the conflicting claims.


Discover more from Archyworldys

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

You may also like