The parents of convicted serial killer Lucy Letby have criticized a forthcoming Netflix documentary about their daughter’s crimes, calling its use of footage a “complete invasion of privacy” and expressing fears for their well-being.
Parents’ Concerns Over Netflix Documentary
Susan and John Letby questioned the release of video showing their daughter’s arrest at their home and voiced concerns that it would attract unwanted attention to their property. They stated in a statement to the Sunday Times that the documentary is “on another level” compared to previous coverage, including a Panorama program and news reports showing Letby being taken into custody.
According to a trailer for the documentary, titled The Investigation of Lucy Letby, it will feature footage “never been released publicly” and include interviews with police and lawyers. The documentary is scheduled for release on February 4.
The parents found footage of Letby’s arrest – including video of her in bed and being led from the property in her dressing gown, as well as saying goodbye to a cat – particularly distressing. They expressed concern over how much additional footage exists.
“All this taking place in the home where we have lived for 40 years,” they said. “It is in a small cul-de-sac in a small town where everyone knows everyone. It is a complete invasion of privacy, of which we would have known nothing if Lucy’s barrister had not told us.”
Letby, 36, is currently serving 15 whole-life terms after being convicted of murdering seven infants and attempting to murder seven others between June 2015 and June 2016.
Allegations Against Investigating Officer
The parents also claimed that Det Supt Paul Hughes, an investigating officer in Letby’s case, appeared to harbor a “deep hatred” toward them. They questioned why Hughes was permitted to release footage of the arrest and why Netflix did not inform them of its use.
“He seems to have a deep hatred of us, even though it was us who first went into Blacon police station in March 2017 to report that [the hospital consultants] Stephen Brearey and Ravi Jayaram were making Lucy a scapegoat,” they said.
Last month, it was confirmed that Letby would face no further charges related to additional deaths and collapses of babies investigated by police. Cheshire constabulary publicly disagreed with this decision, stating it was “not the outcome that we had anticipated.”
Letby has been denied appeals twice, and a campaign group believing in her innocence has submitted reports to the Criminal Cases Review Commission in an attempt to overturn her convictions.
Netflix and Cheshire constabulary have been contacted for comment.
Discover more from Archyworldys
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.