Antoine Griezmann intends to sign a new contract with Atletico Madrid, as he unveiled in a television documentary titled "The Decision", which ends a long-time courtship from Barcelona.
Atletico's top scorer in the last three seasons, Griezmann, 27, wanted to end his speculation about his future before his French side play Australia on Saturday in the World Cup opener.
Barcelona's persecution took place in public for several months before Griezmann said last week that he would share his plans. They did not want to overshadow the World Cup.
And yet he decided to unveil his decision in a 45-minute TV special – in a stunt reminiscent of LeBron James' eponymous 2010 ESPN Special, when the NBA star announced he left the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat.
The method of Griezmann's announcement was mocked in social media widely, as the show aired on Spanish station Movistar on Thursday.
The documentary tries to emphasize that Griezmann weighed his future over the last two months, showing telephone conversations with his sister and agent Maud and his deliberations while visiting his horses.
Towards the end, the program finally revealed that the Frenchman had
"They're doing everything to make sure the team keeps growing, it's incredible, I can not stand it anymore, I have to tell people that I am wants to stay, "said Griezmann.
Mi aficion, mi equipo, MI CASA! @atleti 🔴⚪🔴
Mes supporter, mon équipe, MA MAISON! @AtletiFR 🔴⚪🔴
– Antoine Griezmann June 14, 2018
The unveiling was the end of a more than a year-long transfer saga that Griezmann played and flirted with Premier League last summer Manchester United, before finally signing a new contract with Atletico, as against a transfer ban, an appeal was rejected.
Links to Barca also go back to last summer, when they first discovered that Neymar went to Paris Saint-Germain. However, they put down every possible move on ice and prefer to wait until July 1, Griezmann's release clause would drop from 200 million euros to 100 million
Since then, Barca's persecution has been very closely followed in public after Diego Simeone pointed out in December that he would not be on Griezmann's path if he did wanted to leave the club.
Barca director Guillermo Amor then suggested two days later that the club had been in contact with Griezmann over a summer transfer. As a result of his comments, Atletico Barca reported to FIFA because she pursues an illegal approach to her player.
After more intense speculation in January, Barca made a statement that Griezmann's "alleged move" at Camp Nou had a cordial relationship with Atletico.
However, stories continued and Griezmann helped feed the rage. In March, he said his future was "decided before the World Cup", and in April he said that everything was going on with talks about Atletico.