Dillian Whyte contested WBC title fight with Breazeale
By Richard Damerell
Last updated: 06/03/19 16:58
Deontay Wilder was ordered to defend his heavyweight WBC title against Dominic Breazeale.
WBC champ Wilder had to look for a new opponent after a scheduled rematch with Tyson Fury took place in Los Angeles after his draw in December.
Breazeale was named a mandatory WBC challenger after beating Eric Molina in November 2017 and has now won a fight with his American counterpart.
The WBC verdict means that Dillian Whyte is denied a fight with Breazeale after the government council had previously ordered the rival competitor to fight for the WBC interim title.
A WBC statement said, "WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder will do his duty by battling Dominic Breazeale next.
"This arrangement marks the beginning of the free trial phase for Champion Wilder's mandatory title defense.
"If no agreement is reached between the camps, the WBC will hold an awards ceremony on April 4, 2019 at the WBC offices in Mexico City, Mexico.
Whyte remains the # 1 WBC contender and suffered further frustration after failing to agree terms for a Wembley rematch against Anthony Joshua.
The Brixton man had asked the WBC to use him as a new mandatory challenger if Breazeale was confirmed as Wilder's next opponent.
"The WBC has ordered me against Breazeale," Whyte said Sky sports on the weekend. "Hopefully they will honor that and stay true to their word and give me the binding position.
"If Wilder wants to fight Breazeale, I should make the WBC automatic compulsory, because Dominic Breazeale gets out of the fight, not me."
United World Champion Joshua will face the next defense of his WBA Super, IBF and WBO titles against Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden on June 1. Live on Sky Sports Box Office.
Watch Anthony Joshua defend his world heavyweight title against Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden in New York on June 1, live in the Sky Sports Box Office.