The investigation into the death of Adama Traoré during his arrest in July 2016, which triggered several nights of violence in Val-d'Oise, has been completed since mid-December, said several media, Tuesday, March 12. The lack of indictment of the three gendarmes causes the civil parties to fear that it will be concluded by a dismissal
Two and a half years after the death of Adama Traoré, the investigating judges closed their investigations in mid-December without putting the three gendarmes who had arrested him under investigation.
This decision, which AFP was aware of Tuesday, March 12, leaves the civil parties fear that the investigation into the death of this young black man results in a dismissal. The prosecution must now render its indictment, and the investigating judges their final order.
Five nights of violence
On 19 July 2016, the death of Adama Traoré, 24, was reported nearly two hours after his arrest in his home town of Beaumont-sur-Oise (Val-d'Oise).
Detained for the first time by gendarmes who were looking for his brother Bagui – involved in a case of extortion with violence – the young man had fled. A chase"About 15 minutes" in hot weather it was followed, before he was found in an apartment where he had hidden, and pressed to the ground and kept under the weight of the military.
He then had a discomfort in their vehicle before dying in the gendarmerie court of the neighboring commune of Persan.
Since the beginning of the case, which had caused five nights of violence in this department north of Paris, the relatives of Adama Traore tirelessly denounce a violent arrest. They also accuse the gendarmes of not having helped the young man, handcuffed until the arrival of firefighters.
In Beaumont-sur-Oise, walk in memory of Adama Traoré
One of the firefighters called to the scene had told the investigators that the young man had not been placed in a lateral safety position, but face down. he "Simulated" a malaise, he would have assured a policeman. But this testimony was contradicted by two other firefighters who claimed he was in a lateral safety position, according to a source close to the file.
New auditions requested
On Twitter, the committee "Justice for Adama" claimed that the case was " ongoing " :
Inox alert 🚨 pic.twitter.com/ca6iH1VgeM
– The Truth For Adama (@laveritepradama) March 12, 2019
On Monday, March 11, the lawyer of the young man's family, Yassine Bouzrou, asked that the three gendarmes be heard again, in the hope that they will be indicted.
Death of Adama Traoré, relatives doubt expertises
By the end of November 2018, these three gendarmes had been placed under the status of assisted witness, a status intermediate between that of witness and indicted, meaning that they were not directly accused of committing an offense.
A few months earlier, an expert medical report absolving them of all responsibility had been handed over to the judges: it concluded that the young person's life was "Irreversibly engaged" before his arrest. A request for new counter-expertise, made by the family, was ruled out of order by the judges in mid-February, according to a source close to the case.
The Cross with AFP