Rewrite this content
In 2022, the Peugeot 208 became the best-selling car in Europe, overtaking the Volkswagen Golf which had held this title for fourteen years. This is revealed by the data provided by Stellantis, which states that nearly 220,000 units of the Peugeot 208 were registered last year in the extended Europe of 30 countries (EU and EFTA).
The vehicle is accompanied, still according to Stellantis figures, by three other models of the group within the European top 10: the Citroën C3, the Fiat 500, and the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa.
European top 10
Stellantis does not provide names and numbers for the other members of the top 10, however preliminary data published by Automotive News Europe confirms the crowning glory of the Peugeot 208 on the Old Continent.
This is a ranking based on the first figures available for registrations in EU, EFTA and UK countries. The figures differ slightly from those provided by Stellantis but nevertheless confirm the historical change in the first position.
- Peugeot 208 – 199,302 vehicles
- Dacia Sandero – 191,499 vehicles
- Volkswagen T-Roc – 174,663 vehicles
- Volkswagen Golf – 170,689 vehicles
- Toyota Yaris – 165,462 vehicles
- Opel/Vauxhall Corsa – 158,935 vehicles
- Volkswagen Tiguan – 142,848 vehicles
- Dacia Duster – 137,275 vehicles
- Citroen C3 – 137,143 vehicles
- Renault Clio – 136,581 vehicles
We will have to wait a few more days to know the final ranking, but according to these first figures, it seems that the Volkswagen Golf has slipped to fourth place, behind the Dacia Sandero and even the Volkswagen T-Roc.
Stellantis domine en France
Stellantis also highlighted other good results of the group such as leadership in France, Italy, Portugal and Spain for cars and light commercial vehicles, as well as leadership in the low emission vehicle (LEV) sector. in these same countries.
Before 2022, the last time the Volkswagen Golf had lost its crown of sales queen in Europe was in 2007. Once again, a Peugeot was in first place, it was the 207.
Here is the podium of the best-selling cars in Europe (based on data from Jato Dynamics) in the last three years.
- Volkswagen Golf – 205,408 vehicles
- Peugeot 208 – 196,869 vehicles
- Dacia Sandero – 196,792 vehicles
- Volkswagen Golf – 285,013 vehicles
- Renault Clio – 248,602 vehicles
- Peugeot 208 – 199,316 vehicles
- Volkswagen Golf – 410,779 vehicles
- Renault Clio – 317,645 vehicles
- Peugeot 208 – 224,848 vehicles
and and more content about The Peugeot 208 was the best-selling car in Europe in 2022